Man goes green and off the grid in C...

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure in the News: Man goes green and off the grid in Corvallis By CHERYL HATCH Gazette-Times
Author: Ashlander (Ashlander)
Sunday, December 04, 2011 - 12:13 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Has anyone had contact with Jonathan Carroll (or have a contact number or address) to see if he has had approval from the authorities for his sanitation system?

Author: Joe (Joe)
Monday, April 19, 2010 - 11:59 pm

Make sure you join the Facebook Humanure page at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Humanure/180566911643. There are lots of links and posts going on there. Actually there are several Facebook humanure sites, but this one seems the most active.

Monday, April 19, 2010 - 11:57 pm

Here's the link: http://www.odemagazine.com/doc/69/dirt

Author: Ken (Ken)
Monday, April 19, 2010 - 6:25 pm

The current issue of "ODE", March 2010, has a lead article on "I Dig Dirt". The author uses a compost toilet and mentions Joe and his book in the article.
It keeps on spreading!

Ken

Sunday, April 11, 2010 - 11:27 am

Story Published: Apr 8, 2010 at 9:22 AM PDT

Story Updated: Apr 8, 2010 at 11:29 AM PDT
Man goes green and off the grid in Corvallis

CORVALLIS, Ore. (AP) Like many homeowners, Jonathan Carroll, 44, chose his home for its size and its view. It's a 750-square foot bungalow with purple trim and a southern exposure.

Unlike many homeowners, he paid off his mortgage on his 40th birthday a personal goal and it costs him precious little to maintain it. The home like much in Carroll's life is powered by the sun.

He has a "Powered by the Sun" bumper sticker on the Zap electric car parked in his driveway, inspired by the "Powered by Biodiesel" campaign. "I took their font and their color," Carroll said, describing his adaptation.

Carroll is a master of modification, all in pursuit of saving resources. He reconfigured the battery array in his Zap car to get three times the usage. He fashioned a bike light that runs on solar power and created multiple solar arrays on his roof to power his home, his tools his life.

"I've always gravitated to living like this," Carroll said. "I've always been this staunch environmentalist. I'm a little obsessed, but I sleep well at night."

He remembers the energy crisis of the 1970s and its long lines for gasoline and the commercial, with "the Indian paddling a canoe through all this garbage. I'll never forget that."

A graduate of Brookfield High School in Connecticut, Carroll learned innovation from his father, an industrial arts teacher. "I was making digital clocks when I was 12 years old," he said.

In his backyard, he makes the most of his southern exposure. He has a series of solar panels that create four times the electricity he needs including one panel that he glued together with clearcoat body paint. "I never pay for electricity."

He has nearly a dozen raised beds, a grape arbor and fruit trees. "This is only a tenth of an acre. You can grow a ton," Carroll said. "I eat out of my garden year-round."

He grows kiwis, figs, plums, Asian pears, raspberries, blueberries and cherries. A Santa Rosa plum tree was blooming. "That's the beauty of this valley; it's temperate."

He times his water usage with the seasons, too. He recycles the gray water from his washing machine in the summer to irrigate his garden. He uses phosphate soap because the plants appreciate the chemicals. In the winter, it's non-phosphate soap because the water is returned to the city system and phosphates can create algae blooms.

His toilet uses no water: it's a composting toilet, basically a bucket and sawdust.

"It's a closed loop," Carroll said. "I eat. I poop. I compost. I put it in the garden, and I grow food."

More: http://www.katu.com/news/90225032.html

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.