Gates foundation seeks proposals

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure in the News: Gates foundation seeks proposals
Author: Ken (Ken)
Monday, February 25, 2013 - 10:46 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Another article on humanure.

http://www.resilience.org/stories/2013-02-22/what-goes-around-comes-around-or-the-importance-of-composting-toilets

Author: Joe (Joe)
Wednesday, February 20, 2013 - 8:49 pm

testing to see if this message board is working. If you see this message, then it is!

Author: Ninibio (Ninibio)
Monday, November 26, 2012 - 12:00 pm

Dear Joe, i strongly believe that you are litterally sitting on something very big, as any pioneers and visionnary (like the one who has the balls to say that the earth was round!) you will experiment some deceptions, but look at the responses you have from the real poopers! Incredible! I don't know where to start but i want to share that knowledge and possibilities with as much people as i can! YOU ARE the Gates! Don't give up! We will make it happen!

Author: Ecointerest (Ecointerest)
Saturday, August 18, 2012 - 3:46 am

Very sad, very frustrating, when there is so much finance tied up in the Gates proposals. Makes you wonder what their objective really is. I am sure there are some good people amongst them, hopefully they will get a say in the matter.

Friday, August 17, 2012 - 12:19 pm

We submitted a proposal to Gates for their reinvent the toilet challenge:

I. Project Description
"As long as toilets are designed to dispose of “waste” they will fail. The only sustainable, long-term solution that is applicable world-wide is the constructive recycling of toilet material for agricultural purposes. Hence, toilets must be redesigned as collection devices and the collected material must be recognized as having value, primarily in the form of soil nutrients. The solution is not chemical or technological; it is biological, psychological, cultural and educational. A sustainable sanitation system requires rethinking the problem of “waste disposal” to the extent that it instead is transformed into the solution of “organics recycling.” Nothing is disposed of and there is no waste. We propose to develop a business model involving the collection, composting and sale of toilet material (“humanure”). Our model will be replicable and scalable, from single family to city in scope. The seminal phase of this sanitation project will be to develop portable toilets that are designed to collect toilet material for recycling via composting, to develop the composting systems and logistics that will recycle the organic materials, and to create a marketing plan for the finished compost. Initial toilet material will be collected from campgrounds, music festivals and other such venues in western Pennsylvania, USA, with the intention of designing a replicable collection and recycling system that can be scaled, adapted and exported around the world. The ultimate goal would be to create a sanitation system without waste or pollution that produces a product of net value (compost) and can be quickly and relatively inexpensively established in emergency situations, refugee camps, villages, cities, and private homes."

NOT INTERESTED - replied the Gates people.

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 - 8:50 am

I am still very much in touch with Jean Lucko. The Amurt School which I visited in April is still going very well. The vegetable garden shown in the Video is also very productive. The children have learned well about the proper use of the Humanure Toilets.
There is chance that some of the US AID portable toilet cubicles can be converted to Humanure facilities quite cheaply, and I will be looking into this with Jean when I revisit in November. No definite plans, but we will let you know of developments.

Author: Bobbyj (Bobbyj)
Wednesday, August 15, 2012 - 7:18 am

[No profile available] Edit this post

Saw this in Yahoo today. Humanure composting is to low tech for Bill, there is nothing to crash or reboot!

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/bill-gates-gets-potty-mouth-foundation-holds-toilet-220847363.html

Author: Trailblazerbill (Trailblazerbill)
Sunday, August 07, 2011 - 11:05 am

Gate Foundation video posted 18-Jul-2011 on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdwvuTrycYU

Author: Md_heath (Md_heath)
Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 6:08 am

we submitted several proposals with variations on how to carry them out and all were rejected. to be expected from Gates, i suppose. my personal observation is that he is much more about the 'show' and very little about 'substance'.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 - 7:56 pm

Get in touch with Alisa Keesey of GiveLove.org. she is the project manager for the Haiti humanure project. alisa@givelove.org

Author: Udjibbom (Udjibbom)
Monday, April 11, 2011 - 4:19 pm

did anyone submit a proposal for this and, if so, does anyone know what the reception was?

if not, please let me know - i work as a grant writer and would be willing to volunteer my free time to submit such a proposal in the future. mr. jenkins donated a number of books to the nonprofit i work for and his Humanure Handbook led to a very enjoyable and spirited discussion. his ideas seem sensible and i'd like to see them implemented on a wider scale - i haven't spent much time on the website yet, but it was interesting to see the work being done in haiti; has there been any follow-up on the results they've experienced in the months since then?

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 - 5:26 pm

Instead of Google for a solution, you could Gurgle for a solution!

Wonder if Bill Gates would like this one.

Author: Demeter (Demeter)
Tuesday, August 24, 2010 - 9:47 am

[No profile available] Edit this post

I can't think of a more appropriate solution than Humanure:
http://sanitationupdates.wordpress.com/2010/08/22/grand-challenge-create-the-next-generation-of-sanitation-technologies/

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.