Humanure vs. Commercial Compost Toilets

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure in the News: Humanure vs. Commercial Compost Toilets
Author: Knothead (Knothead)
Tuesday, May 17, 2011 - 7:59 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I've heard a lot of good reports about the marine versions such as Natures head and Air head. I have no experience with them though. I do know that they are very expensive. About 800.00 to 1000.00 dollars. I have a bucket and a urine diverting seat on my boat and that works great. Just over 100.00 dollars. No brainer.

Author: Dieseldriver (Dieseldriver)
Saturday, May 14, 2011 - 1:39 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

This is my personal beef:
My ladyfriend bought a $2,000+ Envirolet last year, and it did not work as advertised, so she switched to the humanure setup, which I had been using myself for over a year. Problem with the commercial composter is that it's way too complex, gets jammed when trying to clean it out, and doesn't really even compost anything, anyway.
Just dries it out. Plus, it smells more than the humanure toilet, and the ventilation system draws out the smell and gags you while you work in the garden. Buyer beware! Not recommending anyone purchase these over-priced, poorly functioning money pits. Can't get your money back, by the way (at least, not on the Envirolet). Humanure toilets are simple, cheap (about $50 DIY), effective, and don't smell if you use them right (which is way easier to do than a commercial 'faux' composter, anyway). The composting happens in the backyard bin, where it's supposed to, feeding worms and anaerobic archaea.

Wheew, ok, this rant over and done. Sorry, but wondering if anyone else on this board actually had success with a commercial compost model...?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.