Coventry Telegraph - The Rise of Huma...

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure in the News: Coventry Telegraph - The Rise of Humanure
Author: Kate_s (Kate_s)
Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 9:06 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

[No profile available] Edit this post

I'm a liveaboard boater in the UK - currently in London - and the reason that most of us separate is simply space! Space to store enough cover material and space to compost. I have a 60' narrowboat and my composting is done in 25l buckets that spend a few months in my warm(ish) engine room and then several more on the roof. I can manage that but I would struggle if I were filling a bucket every 2-3 weeks.

Author: Knothead (Knothead)
Monday, March 11, 2013 - 2:54 pm

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

What you have to keep in mind is that everyone's situation is different. In my case, I am the only one in my household of three that will use the dry toilet. My wife and her sister that live with us refuses.
Therefore, it takes two weeks to fill the bucket up to where it needs to be emptied. I empty the bucket every other Saturday. I also add the weeks worth of kitchen compost at the same time. When the bucket is emptied, it is mostly dry and easily handled. The bucket requires minimal rinsing and I will confess that I have often not even bother rinsing at all. If all my urine were added to the bucket, it would have to be emptied more often and it would be a bit messier.

I do add the urine to the pile when I empty my odorless urinal. Having the liquid to add every few days helps me maintain the moisture level in the pile which consists of much more than humanure and tends to dry out rather quickly if allowed to.

I also have a urine separating system on my boat which these days is used mainly for day trips with quests who are usually drinking copious amounts of beer. It is so much simpler to empty a jug or to carry a spare jug that it is to mess with a bucket and cover material every time someone has to take a leak.

I am a man who has been married for thirty two years and out of courtesy to my wife, I got in the habit of sitting down to urinate and did that for many years. Now that I have my own facilities, I find it much more convenient to stand. That's why I fabricated my urinal. It's about two gallons,(though I never let it get that full), completely odorless even after days in a warm garage, and it is the perfect height.
Much easier to use in the middle of the night than having to raise the lid and sit on a toilet and less messy than standing and aiming for the bucket.

I understand where is some circumstances it would make little sense to separate urine. But you should also try to see how sometimes it does.

I would think that you would be happy that people are embracing the idea and are trying to find creative ways to make it work for them.
Using the word "crazy" seems a bit judgmental and closed minded.

(Message edited by Knothead on March 11, 2013)

Author: Joe (Joe)
Friday, March 08, 2013 - 8:47 pm

I agree completely, Sarah. Urine diversion is crazy if the object is to recycle human excrement. If people are in situations where they can only recycle urine (i.e. can't compost), then I can understand collecting urine and using it. But composting is pretty easy and the urine is an important ingredient. Urine diversion has become somewhat of a religion (worldwide!). Some people even divert their urine from their humanure, then dump the urine on the compost pile along with the humanure. Unbelievable.

Author: Sarah (Sarah)
Friday, March 08, 2013 - 5:35 pm

Thanks, great article. But I don't understand why some folks do urine separation. What is the purpose of this? It seems like more work and mess. I love how simple the loveable loo is and its difficult for me to understand what factors would lead a family to choose this type of system. My other take on this is that it makes humanure appear more difficult (and maybe more strange) for those of us who dream of a world where humanure is mainstream. What is your take on this Joe? My apologies to those folks who have and like urine diverting systems. If you like it, I'd be interested to hear why.

(Message edited by Sarah on March 08, 2013)

(Message edited by Sarah on March 08, 2013)

Author: Joe (Joe)
Wednesday, February 27, 2013 - 10:15 pm

Go Green: The rise of 'humanure' - composting human waste - By Mary Griffin, Feb 27 2013

SO you've turned your garden organic, cut your energy bills and increased recycling but are you going far enough to reduce your carbon footprint. Mary Griffin meets a group who are taking their duties to the extreme.

IT IS not a topic for the faint hearted but it does affect every single one of us on the planet.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.