Could Pooping in a Box Save the Devel...

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure in the News: Could Pooping in a Box Save the Developing World?
Author: Ecointerest (Ecointerest)
Sunday, December 14, 2014 - 6:44 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I bet there is ample choice for cover material, such as sawdust from cutting logs, to pine needles by the tonne.... might be mistaken.
Joe has shown pictures of compost piles continuing thermophilic activity even when deep snow covers the ground. So thermal activity within the heap, provided it's of sufficient bulk, I doubt would be a problem.
The reason I mention insulation is so that the worms can continue activity throughout the pile, even where thermophilic phase has passed, continually and right throughout winter.

Author: Rman (Rman)
Sunday, December 14, 2014 - 8:52 am

I will read the article again for a more complete comprehension but here is what I got from a first read. I would not say there was overt fecophobia present but there is certainly something when an agency advocates the professional handling of humanure due to health concerns. I know I didn't get the details of the types of treatment straight in my mind for high temp low temp composting so I will leave that for the re-read in a day or two and comment then.(this is an idiosyncrasy of my personal habits for more complete comprehension) As to the solar or heat added composting I think that it might be necessary with the duration of low temp periods that the arctic gets to achieve compost in a timely manner. Experimentation should be carried out before any costly measures are taken since you might be right that insulation would be adequate. I couldn't tell for sure if the bucket system they are using is with cover material or not but I suspect it is not.

Author: Ecointerest (Ecointerest)
Sunday, December 14, 2014 - 6:18 am

I might have read that article wrongly, but it seems to me they have not heard of the Humanure system.
They talk of thermophilic anaerobic treatment. It is my understanding that you don't get "thermophilic" with AN-aerobic treatment....it remains cool, relatively.
They also mention using solar energy to heat the compost.... another idea contrary to the AEROBIC and thermophilic treatment process in Humanure.
Finally, there also appears to be an inherent fecophobia present in the article.
Would you agree?
Theoretically, I would suggest that a reasonable amount of insulation in the walls of a confined compost heap, combined with vermiculture to "finish" the composting process, could take up a very small area in any individual household. All combined to produce a sanitized, non-smelly, excellent green house medium for growing salad vegetables all the round.

Author: Halipoo (Halipoo)
Friday, December 12, 2014 - 5:46 pm

This team of researchers have written a couple of papers on humanure in the Scandinavian High Arctic, where traditional sewage is challenging at best:

http://www.smallwat.org/web/uploads/comunicaciones/eaodw_gunnarsdottir_ragnhildur.pdf

"Improved composting toilet systems are under development for implementation in Greenland. These
systems will provide a non-smelling clean toilet inside. The improved excreta handling will enhance the indoor and outdoor hygiene as well as status for the residents. "

Author: Joe (Joe)
Thursday, July 17, 2014 - 11:56 am

By Alexis K. Barnes Jun 3 2014

Joe Jenkins has been saving his shit for 37 years. The 61-year-old thinks that to do otherwise—to flush the toilet after you’ve finished defecating into it—is a waste of perfectly good drinking water and valuable turds. Instead, you should do your business in a box to collect your household’s urine and poop, then add that waste to your compost bin and use it to fertilize your garden. Read More:

http://www.vice.com/read/could-pooping-in-a-box-save-the-developing-world

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.