Joe's new compost bin

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: Joe's new compost bin
Author: maddy
Tuesday, April 09, 2002 - 9:31 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

well, I know I saw it somewhere online, but I didn't bookmark it, and have just spent 4 hours searching for the picture of your new compost bin, Joe!
The one where you can just see a bit of the old bin behind it...and the new one has a roof in the middle.
I wanted to show my husband how nice the whole thing can look, since he is very skeptical, AND it will end up only about 40 feet from the back of the house (if I can get him to agree to it).

I made some progress...he brought me home 2 bales of peat moss, and 2 bags of fireplace pellets. I already have 3 buckets and lids. Right now he is going along with the idea of having it all ready, "in case of an emergency"...I plan to start using it full time myself, once the bin gets built. :)
thanks, maddy

Author: maddy
Tuesday, April 09, 2002 - 9:38 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

oh, can you believe it?! I found the link right after posting
http://www.jenkinspublishing.com/hilton.html

:( how silly of me.... :) haha

Author: Stephen
Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 10:07 am

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Joe, how old is your new bin and how well is the Locust holding up?
My original bin is primarily White Oak and has rotted quite a bit in these last four years.

Author: admin
Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 10:40 pm

The bin is only two years old and the locust is holding up nice, so far. My last bin lasted 20 years, but I had to replace boards periodically (the posts were locust and they did not wear out). I just used old scrap lumber most of the time for the side boards. I'm hoping the black locust side boards I have now will last the rest of my life. We shall see.

Author: Anonymous
Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 1:12 am

Is there an advantage to having the 3-bay compost bin open on alternate sides, as in the book and in the photos? In contrast, the bays of the one I built all open on the same side. I guess I should have figured this out but the epiphany hasn't arrived.

Author: Joe Jenkins
Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 11:17 am

There is no real advantage to having an alternate sided bin. It's an aesthetic or design issue only.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.