I just emptied my first bucket

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: I just emptied my first bucket
Author: TCLynx (Tclynx)
Monday, November 27, 2006 - 11:50 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

It's been really quiet on here this week!!!

It's been almost a year since we started composting. Since our bins are really small we emptied the first bins on our vacant lot to let them age probably 10 months ago. It looks like wonderful soil amendment now and we can't wait to try some out. Starting off with ornamental plants of course.

Author: K Flick (Flick)
Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 4:17 am

We're doing it! Sawdust, 5-gal bucket, etc.

I'm not sure how well this is going to go over with my kids. They are less than enthusiastic, although they both acknowledge that it doesn't smell. My teenager has pronounced it "weird."

Author: DaronPage
Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 11:32 am

I just emptied my first bucket of sawdust. We have been using the toilet for about two weeks now and I just got my compost pile (for now) started. I raked some leave and mowed some grass and under brush with bagger on I have a pile about three feet high and I flattened it down, made an indented on the top and poured it on top, there was little if any offensive smell (course I took a deep breath and held it until it was covered with another bagger full of grass and leaves)but there was definitely no smell afterwards.

I built a hinged toilet similar to the one Joe describes in "The Manual" except I made it bigger so I can store the spare bucket it the back under the lid. Looks nice but I still need to put a finish on.

Author: Joe Jenkins
Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 9:23 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

Congratulations! No longer a humanure "virgin"!

I just got some photos from a guy who built a sawdust toilet using an old toilet back (tank) to hold the sawdust. Quite ingenious and it looks good too.

Author: Stephen
Saturday, April 13, 2002 - 12:18 am

Sounds great Daron. You wil be pleased to see how simple it is and will feel good about it also.

Author: DaronPage
Monday, April 15, 2002 - 1:20 pm

The Best Part is I am not going to have to shell out a couple $K for a septic system, that will only get used for a couple years.

Author: e0richt
Sunday, April 13, 2003 - 11:45 am

I have just emptied my first bucket. I would recommend having a hose nearby for washing and rinsing the bucket. I also found that it was not completely odor free (mostly a urine smell) but it also is not overpowering "gag a maggot" type of stench either and once the deposit is covered up (I use hay) it doesn't smell at all (I do smell the hay though). Though we have had last gasp kind of cold spell and also the last week we seem to have been hit with quite a bit of rain (this might affect smell for the short term). I will keep an eye on it to see how it does during warmer weather. By the way I live in southern NJ

Author: Randall Munson
Monday, September 29, 2003 - 4:26 am

For 2 years we have been living with a septic tank thats fits inside a box (sun-mar 2000 low water). Took a dump in a bucket for 2 days and left it in the bathroom next to the 'sealand toilet'. Thats it, out goes my $2000 bio-hazard box and in comes the $5.35 buckets. Just ordered some 5gl buckets on-line, its hell trying to find them here in germany or the size the is right for the seat. Any one need a sun-mar? thanks Joe.

peace,

Randy

Author: south_nj
Monday, April 11, 2005 - 3:33 pm

well, just an update because Im still new to this stuff. I had an aged pile (actually longer than a year due to work circumstances...) and even though Im not ready for planting of flowers I couldn't wait and decided to see what was left.
so I took my shovel (not the one used for playing with the active pile...) and started to dig around... there was some mulch that was still not decomposed and some hay on the top that didnt break down all the way but for the most part it was a real nice topsoil... I know that the HH said that would be the result but reading something and seeing it are two different things... pretty cool!

Author: Maurie Shink
Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 9:54 pm

We have a camp 100 feet from the lake. We want to build an outdoor humanure out house. Our problem is coming up with a compost area. The lot is swampy and very wooded. Finding a spot to set up compost bins where it will be dry is not going to be easy. Also this would be a spare toilet and not used often only when Violet the Bio-let could not handle the extra company and in the winter for a week when the camp is used for snowmobiling.
Would a single compost bin work? Can you just use some baled hay as cover material and cover it with tarps instead of another bin? We are pretty "green" when it comes to this but want to try it out. (Maine)

Author: Anonymous
Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 10:56 pm

The cover materials don't have to go in a bin, that is just convenient for most. We have been keeping cover materials in a big trash can. Granted, we are using a rather small compost bin (another large -50gal- trash can with lots of holes drilled in it) since we are doing this on a 10' by 10' patio in front of our appartment.

My question is why relagate the humanure toilet to the outdoor outhouse? Wouldn't it be more comfortable to use indoors? If you have a location that would work for the outhouse, I expect it would work for a compost bin or two.

Author: Maurie Shink
Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 10:19 am

Thanks for answering. I have been trying to get started on this for three years and just don't know where to start. I love the book and the ideas,just having trouble getting started but this year is it! We have a bio-let in the camp already and it works fine so I wanted something for when the grandchildren come. They are outside most of the time so figured that would be quick for them. If the bio-let gives out we will put one inside also. Camp is very small.
MS

Author: TCLynx
Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 12:49 pm

Well, the very minimum is some 5 gal buckets, some toilet cover material (could be sawdust, shredded paper, leaves, shredded weeds, peat, the choices are quite extensive.)
And an outdoor compost bin with some coarser cover materials like staw/hay, leaves, weeds etc.
You could even just hang some sort of curtain around the bucket toilet for privacy. Doesn't have to be a structure.
Have you gotten your compost thermomiter yet? that is a good item to have. http://www.reotemp.com/

Everything else just makes it nicer, like a toilet seat, a frame to hold the toilet seat and make it stable "the Toilet". A nice compost bin to keep everything contained and sightly. A cover material bin is usually just convenient.

It can really be as simple or complex as you make it. I have a feeling once you try it, you may decide you like it better than the bio-let.
The act of composting must be a karma building activity. We got so excited about it and composting makes us feel really good.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.