Using chicken wire for bins??

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: Using chicken wire for bins??
Author: maddy
Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 1:15 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Has anyone ever tried using chicken wire for the sides of the bins? I was thinking about how easy it would be to staple it onto corner posts, and it would provide lots of air to the pile...
do you think it might allow the pile to dry out too much? maybe cardboard "sides" placed upright against the wire on the inside, to prevent drying?
Would be easy to punch holes in the cardboard to allow air...
I have plenty of old posts, but no boards, so was thinking about what to buy. The chicken wire should outlast sideboards, and be cheaper as well.
just my thoughts, wonder what anyone thinks!
Thanks, maddy

Author: admin
Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 9:28 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

Chicken wire works, it just rusts and has a limited life span. But it's better than nothing!

Author: saths
Wednesday, April 24, 2002 - 10:09 am

I read about how someone made a compost cage out of 2 by 2 inch lumber and 1/2" chicken wire mesh in 2 L shaped sections held together with 4 door hooks- 2 each on opposite corners. They were unhooked, taken off the compost & moved to another spot to start a new cube of compost.

Author: maddy
Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 1:04 pm

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

hhmmm, the chicken wire in my neck of the woods is galvanized...I've never seen it NOT galvanized. So I'm pretty sure the "rust" problem exists. But I still wonder if it would allow the pile to dry out too much.

Author: red brown
Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 10:55 pm

i had a chicken wire humanure bin in 1998, my first year composting. it was going good until i noticed one of my free range chickens running across the yard with a two foot toilet paper streamer in her mouth. i built a more permanent installation in my chickens pen. they get first dibs on the kitchen scraps, keep the top of the pile stirred up and have quit parading around with the tp.

Author: shelly
Saturday, November 23, 2002 - 2:23 pm

I don't know where you live but around here (Central California) it would get too dry during the no rain season (about 5 months) and the pile would indeed dry out. It even dried out in my enclosed system till I recognized the problem and added more water. I think it depends on where you are and the weather you deal with.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.