Grey Water

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: Grey Water
Author: DaronPage
Friday, April 26, 2002 - 11:59 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

[No profile available] Edit this post

Joe, in "The Manual" you mention that you put a large diameter section of pipe in route to your greywater pound. How did you accomplish this and what was the purpose, to catch grease and large particles?

I have heard of a similar thing called an infiltrator, it is supposed to trap grease and particles and provides surface area to for these to decompose inside the chamber. I just cant seem to picture how these work or how I could make use of it. I am afraid that if I don?t use something then my grey water pipes will clog up.

Author: Alex
Friday, April 26, 2002 - 1:53 pm

Daron

You shouldn't have grease in your greywater system. You shouldn't put kitchen waste water into it. The only water that goes into a greywater system should be from the shower and bathroom sink and possibly the clotheswasher, if you have one. The kitchen sink waste should go into a septic system. The code where I live (Arizona) makes this clear.
The code was written for people who want a grey water system in addition to the traditional septic system. Composting toilets are legal and of course would eliminate the need for such a system but the law for greywater does not take this into account.
I don't like this anymore than you do as it means that I would have to put in a septic system just for the kitchen sink. But that is the law. I haven't built my septic system yet. I am procrastinating on this, hoping to come up with a cheaper solution.

Good Luck
Alex

Author: Joe Jenkins
Monday, April 29, 2002 - 10:52 pm

All a septic system really does is allow for a place for the solids to settle out of the effluent water and anaerobically decompose. When most of those solids are eliminated, such as when a compost toilet system is in use and a kitchen sink garbage disposal is not, then a smaller version of septic tank would probably work nicely. This could amount to a simple plastic 50 gallon drum in the basement (if you have a basement) or somewhere between the sink and the outflow. The drum would both fill and empty from the top and thereby collect the solids, which would settle in the bottom. A valve on the bottom of the drum could allow for the occasional emptying of the solids into a five gallon bucket, which could then be composted. Grease traps are also available, but I'm not sure how they work or what they look like having not had to deal with much grease. We don't dump grease down the drain, we put it in the compost.

I don't have a basement, nor do I use a septic tank drum. I installed a 6" buried solid wall pipe about 50' long between my drain and wetland pond. Solids settle in the pipe and decompose as they slowly flush out the end into the pond. The pipe is regularly innoculated with septic tank (anaerobic) bacteria - about twice a year (just poured down the household drains) - which you can buy at any large grocery store or hardware.

The laws are written for the average home situation. If you live an innovative lifestyle then innovation solutions may work for you. They may not be legal according to the letter of the law, but if they work and nobody bothers you about it, then they may be a viable option.

Author: ella
Monday, May 26, 2003 - 3:06 pm

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I am also trying to set up a grey water system, but i don't have room or want to make a pond or wetland area. I want to water my garden(not veggies) with it.

My idea was to collect it in closed barrels or something of this sort, make a sand/pea gravel/gravel layer at the bottom of the barrel, then to attach a small hose to the bottom (under the last layer of gravel) and hook that up to my drip irrigation system????? Just an idea and I really have no idea if this is workable, but I have not found any information other than the pond/wetland idea.

Does anyone have experince with handling grey water in this way???

Thanks

ella

Author: TCLynx
Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 11:55 am

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

http://www.oasisdesign.net/greywater/index.htm
Check out this web site. They have been the most informative on the toppic of grey water systems I have found.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.