Frozen sawdust

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: Frozen sawdust
Author: Dan Holmes
Friday, May 24, 2002 - 12:10 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I have been humanure composting for a few years now with great success, I now want to change the way I deal with my sawdust pile and need advice. I store all my sawdust in 50 five gallon pails and bring them in from the green house as I need them. The sawdust can be dry or damp and rotting, it all depends on were I have gotten it from. The damp sawdust buckets are frozen in the winter but I have learned to bring it into the house a couple days ahead of time and it unthaws. Alas, I now need my green house to grow more vegies and I do not have a dry place to store all my buckets. The question is. If I pour all my sawdust into an outside covered bin how will I break it apart when it freezes in the winter? Do I leave a pick and axe beside the bin or what? If anyone has some feedback for me on how they manage there sawdust I would appreciate it.

Author: Joe Jenkins
Friday, May 24, 2002 - 6:47 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

We have our sawdust dumped in a pile outside and we dig into it during the winter, covering the hole we create with a bale of hay or something like that. The sawdust freezes on the outside but not on the inside. Unless it's a really cold winter, this works fine for us. In a really cold winter we have to cover the sawdust pile with a tarp and then a layer of hay or straw and hope that gets covered with snow. Then we can dig into the pile through a hole we create with a shovel, like digging into an igloo. So far this has worked for us (25 years). You have to keep the hole covered, however, when you're not digging into the sawdust. Last winter I just stuck a five gallon plastic bucket in the hole and that kept the sawdust inside from freezing. Other years we've kept a bale of straw over the access hole.

Author: Stephen
Friday, May 24, 2002 - 10:58 pm

Could you build a cold frame to store the sawdust?

Author: Dan Holmes
Sunday, May 26, 2002 - 12:30 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

Thanks for the reply guys. I have room in my yard for a 8'x4' covered bin which would fit nicely beside my compost bins. I am thinking that I could put loose sawdust in the bottom half and then buckets on top. I would then use the loose stuff for as long as possible in the winter and switch to buckets as it freezes. Maybe I will make one half for buckets and fill the other to the top with sawdust, that's sounding easier.

Author: Frank B
Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 6:27 pm

Dan
How did this work out for you?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.