Hubby wasn't supportive at first -- I...

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: Hubby wasn't supportive at first -- I did it anyway!
Author: Amy-Sunshine
Saturday, June 15, 2002 - 1:10 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Well, I finally just realized that nothing was stopping me from composting my humanure, except my own fear and inhibitions. There's a certain awkwardness to get past with this system. It's not conventional, and many people don't know what to make of it at first. My husband was one of those people. Well, talking about it warmed him up, but the only way to get him used to it, was to do it!

So I've done it! Not surprisingly, my husband has come around. He assisted me in building the toilet (which was a great sign), and has been using it more and more. It's only been four days! He's commented several times that he's impressed and proud of me for going through with it. This from a man who was adamantly against it originally! I now have my husband's full support. In fact the tension about the decision dropped away the minute he realized he couldn't talk me out of it. He's been positive about it ever since!

I've wanted to do this for years, but have let other people's negativity hold me back. The recent catalyst for me, was about three weeks ago, when a new friend of mine said she was planning on building one, even though her partner "thinks it's disgusting." I thought, wow, she's going to do it anyway... Why not?!

Now I've done it, and it's already inspiring another friend of mine to build one. Good ideas catch on! By the way, I live in a rental apartment, and we had to put the thing in a corner of the bedroom! I think pooping in the bedroom took more getting used to than pooping in the bucket!

Walking lightly on the Earth and proud of it,
Amy Sundari Finlay

Author: saths
Saturday, June 15, 2002 - 10:36 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

[No profile available] Edit this post

Good for you Amy.At 62 I thought I was to old to start but lately I've been thinking of doing 1/2 pail or less (whatever I could carry). My husband already uses sawdust to put under animals in our barn He didn't like composting idea but at different times we've had to be without our regular toilet & it was pretty nasty.I never thought of covering the stuff with sawdust,etc. If it is safe to recycle why not follow Mr. Jenkins directions.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.