Humaure composting in the UK

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: Humaure composting in the UK
Author: Bob Stevenson
Monday, July 29, 2002 - 10:08 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Hi there :-)

After having read the Humanure book, I am very inspired to put it into action. I'm trying to contact via e-mail anyone in the Uk who has the humanure composting system in place and their experience of it. Especially the varied weather in the Uk, the cold temperature and tips on making sure the humanure compost heats to a high temperature.

I am also thinking of incorporating the gray water pond at the end of the book of the Humanure book, and wondered if anyone has any practical advice on building one.

Finally, I'm just wondering with regards to energy resources, such as electricity and gas, has anyone come up with a simple and easy way of installing an efficient source of energy that provides heating, lighting and power to a house, that is environmentally friendly? I live in the North of England.

My e-mail is bob_stevenson_uk@hotmail.com

Thank you

Bob Stevenson

Author: Simon Marr-Johnson
Monday, January 13, 2003 - 6:08 pm

We have a system working in the Black Mountains of south Wales but it is still too early to comment on the temperatures achieved. Come the spring and I hope it will take off heatwise.

We are using ordinary softwood sawdust from the local sawmill.

Author: David Shannon
Monday, July 21, 2003 - 6:33 am

I am interested in bulding a system in Norfolk, England. The county had innumerable soil or earth tiolets and there is even a book on these, but without details on the practical aspects. The humanure system seems to be the modern equivalent.

I am interested in making the least possible construction above ground so may adapt the scheme shown in the photographs to put most of it underground in the chalk.

My location is an old farm which had run off from livestock into farm drains and soakaways. I suspect the planners will nevertheless require a new planning application for us to build a small human toilet with a fraction of the capacity of what the four legged animals produced.

I will keep watch on this site to see what experience is gained, and will add our achievements as and when

Author: admin
Tuesday, July 22, 2003 - 6:44 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

We'll keep an eye out for your postings.

Joe Jenkins

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.