Problems with greywater when it rains

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: Problems with greywater when it rains
Author: Bob Stevenson
Thursday, August 15, 2002 - 6:55 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Hi there

I'm based in the uk and I'm at the beginning stages of planning a grey water system/pond. I've e-mailed the enviromental department in the uk with regards on regulations about composting humanure and building a grey water system, I'm still waiting to hear back from them.

I'm at the planning stage and I'm trying to think of any potential problems I might have with the grey water pond. One that comes to mind is rain. Here in the uk we have a lot of rain. Has anyone had problems with their grey water pond over flowing or flooding and how have you try to tackle this problem.

Thanks

Bob Stevenson

Author: Joe
Thursday, August 15, 2002 - 12:33 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

Instead of a pond it's more common to use a settling tank to collect solids followed by a small constructed wetland for the effluent. A pond isn't needed in that case. I use a pond because I have acid mine drainage running past my house - a very unusual situation.

Author: Himalayan composter
Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 8:20 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

Grey water shouldn't have much in the way of solids, since it does not have toilet materials in it. I live in the Indian Himalayas and use my grey water directly on my garden and trees, as recommended in the EarthShip books. The trees and flowers love it. Only the laundry detergenty water I splash on the gravel walk for disposal instead because it's probably too concentrated. But it's a desert so all plants have to be irrigated anyway. Still, seems simpler than a pond system to me. We have a holding tank under the showers.

Author: TCLynx
Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 11:09 am

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

There are many different types of grey water systems. There is actually a fair amount of solids in grey water that will clog something like perferated pipe if there is no filtering.
http://www.oasisdesign.net/greywater/index.htm
So far in my reading, very few places allow grey water systems (or at least not systems that are of much benefite.) The more complex and hi tech the system, the more likely it will fail or be abandoned.
Good luck

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.