Baby diapers in humanure compost?

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: Baby diapers in humanure compost?
Author: Robert D'Aoust (Robert)
Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 8:23 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

We want to compoost our friend's baby disposable diapers. They contain an absorbent gel a.s.a.p. type plastic salt. Does anyone know if and how these materials are decomposed in a humanure situation. I know that the whole diaper ( except the plastic strip) does decompose. My question is more to the point of what becomes of the gels.

Author: P.K. (Earthmomma)
Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 4:20 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

Well, what about the new gDiapers? It says right on the website that they can be composted.

Author: Sally (Sally)
Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 4:05 pm

Ah babies! My youngest (of 4) is now 12. However they all learned "control" at different rates and times. I actually only used cloth nappies for one - I made them out of brushed cotton sheets, and old towels, with velco fasteners and a little sheep emblem sewen on the front... :-) To be honest I wish I'd done this sooner - the whole washing nappy thing was so much easier than I'd thought it would be - and no more or less rash than the babies that had disposables....

I have a long week-end this week-end & I do hope to set up my humanure pile finally. I now believe all four "children" (-two over 18) will contribute in a positive manner.... so ...... as I keep saying "sooon" :P

Author: gina wuppermann (Gina)
Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 3:46 pm

While we only have one daughter, I had had enough of both cloth and disposables by the time she was 6 months old, so after scrounging round the net, at 8 months we decided to go cold turkey on body toilets aka nappies. we took to learning her body rhythms and watching her to understand when she would need to go to the toilet. We had a lot of success with the poo factor, however we were late with the urine side of things, as she had already started to crawl and was completely uninterested in dealing with liquid bodily functions. we had of course trained her into using a nappy so we had to "untrain" her out of these. we had our ups and downs and by 18 months she was both night and day dry. and since she had her own special potty, the contents were something that could (we weren't humanuring then) have gone quite happily into the compost.

Author: Bob Stevenson
Wednesday, August 28, 2002 - 12:17 pm

Hi there
A couple recently asked me about the questions of babies. Not that I'm an expert on babies but more on what is the best way to rid of it's poo, especially since a baby hasn't learned to use the loo. So I thought I would post it on the board and see if anyone has any helpful tips from the experience they've had.

Questions like:
-Can we put baby diapers in the humanure compost?
-Are there better solutions than diapers?

Author: Joe Jenkins
Wednesday, August 28, 2002 - 9:51 pm

We always used cloth diapers and let them soak in a diaper bucket (full of water) after the solid material had been scraped into the compost toilet with a piece of toilet paper. The diaper bucket water was then dumped on the compost pile (about once a week or so) and the relatively clean, rung out diapers were then washed in a washing machine. This simple system enabled us to recycle much of the organic material being produced by the babies. We did this for 6 kids. We never used disposable diapers.

Author: Amy-Sunshine
Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 1:46 am

Cloth Diapers have come a LONG way in recent years! I've been researching them lately, and my sister uses modern ones.

No more pins or heavy plastic covers. They are now far more comfortable for baby, and VERY easy and convenient to use, with velcro or snaps. They even have ones (called "Fuzzi Bunz") that are lined with high-tech fleece, to keep baby nice and dry when wet. (Great for night-time!) Ecobaby.com has good images and reviews of numerous cloth diaper systems. There are LOTS of options!

Author: saths
Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 8:50 am

To Amy, Thanks for mentioning ecobaby.com. It's a great website. I like that diaper pail to cut down on odors.

Author: Anonymous
Friday, June 04, 2004 - 11:51 am

www.borntolove.com - diaper patterns, cover patterns, baby bum sweater patterns, etc. - for those of us wthout enough money to purchae cloth diapers - diapering the frugal baby way! Rinse water can contain a small amount of vinegar to neutralize diapers, thus extending their life - do not suggest using javex (bleach). Carcenogenic and not good for the environment. Also kills anything growing. A regular pail works great to contain odors. I wash every 3 days (you need about 40 diapers to do this). Also second hand kids/baby stores almost always have second hand diapers. We scored over 100 excellent diapers at a garage sale.

Author: Anonymous
Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 4:59 pm

Does anyone have experience washing diapers, using vinegar in the wash, and gray water systems?

We do not compost human waste at this time, but I am interested in moving in that direction, currently, we compost with worms, a leaf/weed pile, and a barrel composter.

We purchased this house last year, and it has a grey water system, called an "infiltrator" attached to the washer, bathtub, and bathroom sink.

I want to know if cloth diapers (rinsed in the toilet, and soaked in a wet pail) washed with white vinegar and soap could be harmful to the gray water system.

Author: Ron
Friday, August 06, 2004 - 10:52 am

Diaper contents do not qualify as grey water substance. Check create an oasis web site for the best grey water info on the net. http://www.oasisdesign.net/greywater/law/index.htm#arizona

Author: SECMO Becky
Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 1:53 pm

I'd like to respond to the original question, about puttting disposable diapers in. Who knows, maybe the owner of a humanure toilet doesn't have infants but has the occasional visitor who does, and who brings disposables.

When we empty our manure chambers after one year (We don't empty buckets, we just build the bathroom above the manure chamber) we find a lot of plastic strips from assorted brands of commercial sanitary napkins, but all the cotton is completely decomoposed and gone. So we pull those out of the compoost, no problem.

So that would suggest that disposable diapers would decompose.

Author: Leslie of Bolton
Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 2:57 pm

I read in the Composting Toilet Book that a woman threw her disposable diapers in a Carousel composting toilet and then just pulled out the plastic cover when her compost was done. From what I can tell, however, you should avoid most brands of disposable diapers that have gel of some kind that makes them superabsorbent. I am expecting a baby and plan to use cloth diapers, but I will get a few disposables for unforseen circumstances and I plan to get a brand like Tushies that doesn't use gel. We do compost our humanure so I guess I am going to try throwing the occasional disposable in there.

Author: daron
Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 2:45 pm

The gel stuff is sold as an additive to potting soil, it will absorb and release water, and I do not think that it would pose a problem in the compost or even later in the garden

Author: Mary Metcalf
Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 10:23 am

To Leslie of Bolton:

Perhaps you've read it already however if not, since you mentioned you are expecting, I wanted to bring to your attention the January 12, 2005 posting (Humanure Composting Around the World) under the topic "Natural Infant Hygiene"... I was fascinated by the little I looked into that website, and wished I had been exposed to that info before I gave birth (17 and 14 yrs. ago). I used cloth diapers exclusively... All the best with your birthing!

Author: TCLynx
Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 11:03 am

http://www.natural-wisdom.com/

Author: pricelawhon
Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 3:37 pm

I am simply trying to find out how to continue using my laundry as graywater now that we are using cloth diapers with an infant. If I put the urine-only diapers in one pail and the poop diapers in another, can I then treat the poop diapers with something? If I do this can I then put them in the washer and irrigate grass with the water? It seems bleach wouldn't be a good choice.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.