Water Conservation

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: Water Conservation
Author: Larry
Sunday, March 23, 2003 - 11:32 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

The United Nations has declared 2003 the Year of Water, recognizing the connections between water conservation, sanitation, and human health. March 22 was declared the Day of Water, coinciding with the World Water Forum in Kyoto, Japan. Unfortunately, the WWF was dominated by water industrialists promoting capital-intensive large-scale projects such as dams and central sewage treatment systems. Questioning the wisdom of more flush toilets and central sewage treatment was Bengt Johansson from the Swedish International Development Agency. An interesting report is available online from the New Scientist website arguing for composting toilets as an important tool for conserving water and returning valuable nutrients to the soil. Check it out at:
http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99993512
I think there is an unprecedented opportunity for composting toilet advocates to be heard as the need for water conservations gets more attention on the world stage. Now is the time to speak out.
Naturally, Larry
warnberg@pacifier.com
www.solartoilet.com

Author: joe
Sunday, March 23, 2003 - 12:07 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

Thanks for posting that Larry. Someone emailed the report to me last week. I should have posted it. Good thinking.

Joe

Author: Larry
Monday, November 15, 2004 - 11:45 am

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I just returned from a 3-day conference in Portland, OR where the Oregon/Washington Tilth Producers held its 30th anniversary event. Tilth is the main organic growers association in these two States, and the first group in the nation to develop organic certification standards. During several workshops and speeches I heard references to the importance of building soil to conserve water in agriculture. These were good opportunities to mention the role of composting humanure. I took a box of Humanure Handbooks to distribute, and offered construction plans for my porta-potti, which I call the Humanure Harvester. Interest among organic growers for composting toilets is strong. Permaculture adherents seem to be the most tuned in, with many people telling me about the systems they use.
Here are two good sites to follow developments in the organic food movement:
www.tilthproducers.org
www.OrganicConsumers.org

Author: admin
Tuesday, November 16, 2004 - 12:10 am

[No profile available] Edit this post

Keep up the good work, Larry.

Joe Jenkins

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.