Wheat kitty litter in compost??

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: Wheat kitty litter in compost??
Author: j
Sunday, March 23, 2003 - 5:54 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

so attempts to convert my parents to humanure are not successful yet, but almost there. in the meantime, i've been using horse manure from a nearby stable as a nitrogen source in our pile... my mom has just gotten cat litter that is wheat! any ideas as to if this with the felinemanure would be good in the compost?? (it is not for food growing..)

j

Author: joe
Saturday, March 29, 2003 - 9:53 am

[No profile available] Edit this post

If it's organic, it is good for compost.

Author: Sunshine_Amy
Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 1:09 pm

Sawdust also makes an ideal kitty litter. I've been using it for over a year. My cat had previously had some kind of skin irritation (always scratching herself raw), which I now believe was aggrivated by standard kitty litter. She is much improved since I switched to sawdust.

I've not noticed any difference in smell; in fact it may even be better. I use a covered catbox, which helps of course. Even after vacationing for a month, and returning home to an un-tended catbox, the smell was not noticable in the room, with the sawdust litter.

Author: TCLynx
Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 10:08 am

I would expect that sawdust as cat litter might not clump the way scoopabale litters do but they probably don't compost as well. I expect that I will try sawdust as cat little next time I have a cat.

Author: Anonymous
Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 4:16 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

why don't you use the cat litter made from recycled newspaper? no smell at all, I love it. We have eight indoor cats in a small home. I bet it would work in a bucket too.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.