Off the septic for six weeks!

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: Off the septic for six weeks!
Author: The Trouts
Sunday, March 30, 2003 - 7:41 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Aloha,

My wife live on Maui (Hawaii USA) and we have been off our septic system for six weeks, since 2/14/03.

After thoroughly reading and enjoying The Handbook, I set up our system following the recommendations in the book to the letter.

AND IT WORKS!

This, of course, isn't surprising as Joe and his family has been doing this for over 20 years! I really love to find instructions based on demonstrated performance.... because they work!

The Details

- We have (4) 5–gallon buckets in the rotation.
- We started out using peat moss (4 weeks), and are now using some cheap compost. (last 2 weeks) as cover material in the receptacle. Both worked well, no lasting smell and easy to handle. I am considering trying grass clippings as an indoor cover material but I don’t really want to bring bugs in the house with them.
- There are 2 of us in the house, and we are emptying the bucket every 2 or 3 days.
- We built our outdoor pile (per instructions) with some molasses grass (weed) on the bottom, and then using grass/weed clippings as cover.
- Compost pile temperature has now reached 133F and has been holding there for the last three weeks.
- Pile took about 3 weeks to get over 120F.

This is working great, Joe. Thank You

BTW, I read Balance Point and thoroughly enjoyed it as well.

Bob

Author: Joe
Wednesday, April 02, 2003 - 9:14 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

Great feedback. Thanks

Author: e0richt
Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 7:37 pm

Well, finally got everything together (compost bins, hay for outside, mulch for inside, sawdust toilet)... tried using it earlier today and seems to be working (no smell)... I had to dump out some kitchen waste into the compost bin... initial smell when I dumped it but the smell went away after covering it with hay... I checked on the earlier deposit in the sawdust toilet... (I am surprised that there is no smell...). I will follow up later as to how things are going when I dump that into the pile...

Richt

Author: tahir
Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 2:24 am

i wander if the mixing of humanure and the carbonic materials will generate a right environment for the flies to breed?

Author: The Trouts
Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 11:17 pm

We have NO fly problem, inside or out.

The key seems to be to always ensure that cover material COVERS the pile.

Author: tahir
Friday, April 11, 2003 - 1:35 am

Thanks the Trout for your reply,but i let you know that we have a warm weather in africa and our flies are very smart and active and the cover material always will not seal the surfice of the pile so the flies will lay their eggs and the white larvae will find plenty of feed to grow.
tahir

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.