Composting Toilets for B&B?

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: Composting Toilets for B&B?
Author: ella
Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 5:25 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I am the owner of a small B&B that is open only in the summer and the rooms are situated in a garden. We have shared bathrooms (mens/womens) for our guests but have been thinking about building private bathrooms for next to each room. Our biggest problem was hoe to get all that sewer pipes under ground and at an angle so they make it to our septic tank without digging up our entire garden.

I have just spent the last 2 hours reading information from your book (which I hope to order soon) on the web and I feel all my problems will be solved : composting toilets so no sewage waist and grey water will be piped to water the trees and flowers around.

The big Question is this??? How do I partake in this this new adventure with the public i.e. my guests? Do I need to make a long list of how to's to hang on the bathroom wall. Will people take one look at the toilet and run away? What has been your experience with large public reaction to using a composting toilet? Do you know of anyone else who has set one up in a B&B? Will I be stuck with "too much stuff" to compost?

Sorry this is so long. but your composting toilet may be able to save me thousands in plumbing work, plus give me a good feeling about helping the earth!

Thanks so much for your knowledge and for setting up these message boards.

ella from Israel

Author: admin
Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 9:54 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

If the guests can keep a clean layer of cover material over the toilet contents at all times, then they will have a good compost toilet experience. You will have to supply the cover material and empty the toilet for them, set up a compost bin, etc. You should also provide extra buckets with lids (if you're going to use the humanure toilet system) as back-up in case one gets full and a replacement is needed. One person will fill one bucket in one week, so buckets filling up fast is usually not a problem unless you will have large crowds, in which case, several back-up buckets handy (with lids) will easily solve the problem. We have handled fifty people at a time (in one night they will fill four buckets, but when full, the bucket is simply lifted out of the toilet, a lid is put on it, then it is set aside and an empty bucket put in its place. Sufficient appropriate cover material makes it all work well.

Author: saths
Monday, May 19, 2003 - 8:19 am

Mr Jenkins, If anyone had a humanure handbook outhouse in warm weather, without running water there, and wanted to use baby wipes to clean their hands, could they be composted along with the toilet paper. Thanks.

Author: saths
Monday, May 19, 2003 - 9:27 am

Mr. Jenkins, Is humanure affected by people who use drugs, alcohol or cigarettes? Would it hinder the composting process?

Author: admin
Monday, May 19, 2003 - 8:59 pm

You can compost paper products (toilet paper, for example). I don't know what baby wipes are made from. Also, do they contain germicides? If so, that may hinder the compost.

Drugs, alcohol and cigarettes have no effect on the compost.

Author: TCLynx
Monday, January 02, 2006 - 2:11 pm

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I wouldn't worry too much about what is on the baby wipes and if you are worried about them composting, there are many moist wipes available that are flushable that would compost just fine.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.