Composting Urine, only, in an urban e...

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: Composting Urine, only, in an urban environment
Author: Meismeems (Meismeems)
Tuesday, August 25, 2009 - 1:38 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I am excited out of my mind that this Jenkins system is taking off. Maybe there's hope for the human race after all!!!

Author: Bilko
Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 12:09 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

I have read and I am utilizing Humanure principles at the cottage.

In the city, my initiate water conservation focus's on collecting urine in a container filled with peat moss. When full, container is 'dumped into a recycling bin with other compost materials. Have others done the same? Do you have to wait 2 years before utilizing the compost?
I'd appreciate the experiences of others.

Cheers

Author: Anonymous
Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 9:46 am

Urine leaves your body sterile and is more like grey water than black water- the only germs it should grow are the ones on your skin as it exits the body. Many of us non humanure composters urinate on our compost heaps with no qualms whatsoever, nor any time limit for composting after the last void, and those who prefer not to have voiced no infectious concerns about it. See gardenweb composting/soil forums. Just tough to give away zuchinni if the neighbors find out.
Anonymous so my daughter doesn't find out!

Author: Joe
Friday, May 30, 2003 - 11:52 am

Urine can be applied directly to plants

Author: admin
Friday, May 30, 2003 - 7:07 pm

You should probably dilute it. Full strength it will kill plants.

Author: Anonymous
Friday, March 12, 2004 - 4:20 pm

I've poured away stored urine in the garden, undiluted, distributing a 1 gal bottle over many linear feet (50 or more) so that each sq ft of soil gets only a small stripe of liquid. Note: the storage bottle was pre-loaded with some sugar, as I have read that this promotes fermentation rather than anaerobic stench. It does seem to make the liquid "fresher". OTOH I'm mostly vegetarian, 90+ pct organic in diet, and I don't drink, smoke, or consume pharma products as a rule so perhaps my pee is just not that smelly (except after consuming asparagus, but that is a different story!) Does anyone know what makes pee stink less, or more?

Anyway...

So far no negative effect on any plant. I have poured it on a bed lying fallow under leaf mulch, to kick up the nitrogen content prior to planting, also around the bases of roses and mature, bushy rosemary, and around iris bulbs. If anything the roses are thriving spectacularly, rosemary likewise.

I have not tried pouring it into any planters, as most of my planters are "self watering" meaning that they have a reservoir of water in the bottom, and if the urine collected in there I fear there would be an ammonia stink and damage to the plants and beneficials in their containers.

The Anonymous Urban Humanurist

Author: harry cee
Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 3:00 pm

Interested in urban composting of separated urine added to rough sawdust (which can be easily obtained in my area). Does anyone know what proportion or quantity of nitrogen in human urine is; and whether the nitrogen content per unit volume varies significantly? Thanks.

Author: Vaughn Christens
Monday, June 06, 2005 - 5:33 pm

I pour urine full strength on plants all the time. Only in planters is it a problem.

I don't eat much salt, so my urine's not as salty as the next American's.

Be systems thinkers, people!

Author: Larry
Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 1:11 pm

Speaking of systems, I want to brag about my new urinal/compost tea generator. Our Humanure Harvester composting privy, stationed near the garden, uses the regular 5-gallon bucket collector, serving my wife and me as well as visitors and oyster customers. I found that emptying chores are greatly reduced by providing a separate urinal for the guys in s secluded nearby bushy area. It's like peeing in the bushes, but there's a bucket. Actually, two buckets, a smaller 3-gallon perforated tub filled with a healthy mix of worm castings, a little rock phosphate powder and wood ashes, and some straw or wood chips for aeration. The urine percolates to the lower larger 5-gallon bucket. It is easy to lift out the small bucket, add some water, and use this balanced plant food to give seedlings a boost. Urine alone is not a balanced food source. The organic mix in the small receptacle is replaced about once a month. A plain urine bucket quickly becomes smelly, but the compost tea generator is practically odorless. Users appreciate the no-splash layer of straw sprinkled on top.

Author: limeflower
Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 4:08 pm

My dog's pee kills patches of the lawn. Vaughn, doesn't full-strength human urine have a similar effect ?

Author: limeflower
Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 4:27 pm

Larry, I'm going to put a men's urinal bucket in our new garage, if I can afford to build one, that is. I want to use the space for my teenage son and his friends to play guitar and games in and I was trying to figure out how to put some kind of composting toilet in there --then I found this site and realized that the bucket toilet is the best possible choice of toilet available. ( I had been looking all over for a commercial composting toilet and though I thought some of them had some good features, I now realize that their methods are ineffective compared to the sawdust bucket. The ones I had seen set up were repugnant to me. Much of the pee and poop deposited in them became stuck to the strange-shaped bowls they have. And they stink. My cousin in Norway has one at his cabin and it nearly ruined the whole stay there for me. It reeked of chemicals and poop all the time and there was stray poop all over the unit. I had to clean an area for myself every time I went. A sawdust bucket is vastly more hygienic and natural than any composting toilet I have read about or seen. By the way, where in Washington are you?

Author: Larry
Friday, June 10, 2005 - 9:34 am

The bucket toilet is an affordable and effective solution for your garage guests. Go for it!
I live on the Long Beach Peninsula in SW Washington State, where I farm oysters on Willapa Bay. This Peninsula is developing rapidly as a coastal retirement community, but there are concerns about the increasing density of septic systems on what is essentially a 30-mile long narrow sandspit. Nitrates are water soluble, and can move offsite to contaminate ground and surface waters. Excessive nitrates in an estuary can trigger harmful algae blooms, damaging the habitat for marine organisms. The huge and increasing dead zone at the mouth of the Mississippi River is the most famous example, but this problem is growing in many areas. Recycling humanure and urine through composting can greatly reduce the potential nitrate pollution from residences. Gradually, more of my neighbors are switching to composting toilets, and reaping the benefits. So far half a dozen households and one B&B are using the Jenkins system. I keep extra copies of The Humanure Handbook to loan out when someone expresses interest.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.