Source for sawdust in metro-Atlanta?

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: Source for sawdust in metro-Atlanta?
Author: CH
Friday, May 30, 2003 - 9:37 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Hello all!

I've finished reading The Handbook, and my husband and I are excited about starting our own compost pile. However, I'm having trouble finding a source for the type of sawdust specified in the book. My county extension service couldn't give me any ideas, but rather suggested wood chips, which just won't do! Would anyone have any ideas of where I could go to find sawdust or another acceptable medium that's readily accessible in the metro-Atlanta area? I've also thought about using hay instead; does anyone here have thoughts or tips on how well hay would work?

Thanks in advance!

CH

Author: admin
Saturday, May 31, 2003 - 3:06 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

[No profile available] Edit this post

I (Joe Jenkins) was just down in Atlanta a week or so ago. I have to make periodic business trips down there. It seems like there should be a lot of forest products available around Atlanta. Have you tried looking under "lumber, wholesale" in the phone book yellow pages? I'm sure there are sawmills in the surrounding countryside and you may be able to get a feed sack or three of sawdust from a local sawmill for free whenever you need it. Also, do the municipalities in the Atlanta area collect leaves in the fall? If so, what do they do with them? They may stockpile them and allow citizens to come get the leaf compost for gardens, etc. This is great cover material for a "sawdust" toilet.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.