Wonder if drugs break down in the com...

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: Wonder if drugs break down in the composting process?
Author: interested
Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 2:13 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

[No profile available] Edit this post

I just finished reading the online version of the book... and I'm quite impressed!

Definitely informative.

Wonder if drugs remain biologically active in the finished compost or are somehow broken down or rendered inactive?

Obviously this is becoming more and more of an issue as traces of drugs [chemo compounds, antidepressants, etc.] are increasingly being detected in our drinking water.

If there was specific mention of this in the book I must have missed it.

Thoughts?

Author: admin
Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 6:46 pm

I know of no specific research on this issue, although it is likely that the drugs are broken down in compost considering that a wide range of toxic chemicals are remediated this way.

Joe Jenkins

Author: Bev Jones
Monday, October 17, 2005 - 11:17 am

Would antibiotics in the stool and urine of a humanure contributor harm the bacterial balance in the pile? Should we do something else with these until the antibiotics are over? (What else can you do with it??? Recipes, anyone??)

Author: admin
Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 11:10 am

I recently took a strong antibiotic (Cipro, I think) for an infected cut on my hand, and there was no difference in the compost activity.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.