Urine-manure slurry

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: Urine-manure slurry
Author: Anonymous
Tuesday, February 03, 2004 - 7:17 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

[No profile available] Edit this post

I was wondering if anyone knows about any potential for harmful side effects of this process. Urine manure slurry is the process of collecting urine and manure and once you have enough to fill your container you then keep it covered for two weeks for processing. After which you are to dilute it with twice the amount of water. In a thermophilic compost pile it is said that if the right temperature is maintained that most pathogens are destroyed. So I am wondering if that would be true for this slurry method? Also, this method was described for animal urine and manure, would it be safe to use this method for human urine and manure?

Any thoughts or directions would be much appreciated.

Author: admin
Tuesday, February 03, 2004 - 7:52 pm

Read the pathogen chapter of the Humanure Handbook. It's online at http://www.weblife.org/humanure/chapter7.html

Tuesday, February 03, 2004 - 11:18 pm

Yes, I have read through this. But what I was unclear about was if this slurry was heated to 65 c for an hour would it kill off the pathogens; Since this slurry is sustained in a liquid form as apposed to a compost? Furthermore, if anyone would know if keeping this slurry in a sealed container for two weeks, would this generate enough heat from it's own elements to reach a sufficient temperature to kill the pathogens?

Another question arises in my mind. If human manure is so pathogenic, what is a safe method for transporting it even just to a compost? Is manure considered dangereous to even touch the skin, or is there air born pathogens to be concerned with?

One more question is could someone briefly explain how human manure is considered so much more dangerous than animal?

The one thing I also don't fully grasp in attacking human manure as so harmful, is that as parents we change many poopy diapers. Also, depending on whether you use disposables or not, there is the factor of having a diaper pail. Then there are these non-disposable diapers which may sit for a week or two in a bag before they are cleaned.

I do apologize if I am overlooking too much obvious information which has already been covered. I have been trying to learn allot of information in regards to actual natural living within the last few months. Trying to return to common sense reasoning when you have been brain washed to believe every natural thing under the sun will kill you, it can seem like a vary daunting task.

Thanks for the help

Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 10:17 pm

I am a retired veterinarian. Here is my opinion as to why human manure is considered more potentially dangerous than animal:

Most diseases are species specific. You are more likely to get an infectious disease from another human than you are from an animal.

Animal manure may contain organisms that are harmful to other animals of that same species but will contain few organisms harmful to humans (Salmonella and Toxoplasmosis being notable exceptions). Likewise, human manure could contain organisms harmful to other humans but not harmful to other animals.

Author: TCLynx
Monday, January 02, 2006 - 12:37 pm

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I would not be so scared of transporting a bucket of your own manure. Especially if you are healty and wash your hands after handeling it.
Most illnesses that come from contact with fecies has to do with not washing ones hands and then transfering the bacteria to the other end of the digestive tract when eating food. This is why it is such a big deal to wash ones hands after using the restroom, or changing diapers, etc.

It is not like it will burn you if it touches your skin, just wash if it does not a big deal. This stuff comes out of your body, it doesn't suddenly transform into a bio-weapon upon contact with a toilet.

Diaper pails tend to be far worse than a sawdust toilet.

As for a slurry, I'm not sure about that. Could produce too anarobic an environment for the kind of composting we are talking about with humanure. I'm not sure why one would wish to make it a slurry instead of composting with a nice mixture. I also expect a slurry could cause quite a stink if unsealed and if sealed there could be a problem with gas buildup.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.