Humanure not sewage

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: Humanure not sewage
Author: Anonymous
Monday, March 15, 2004 - 6:04 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

[No profile available] Edit this post

There are no heavy metals found in Human Manure,
heavy metals are found in municipal sewage because
industries like metal plating shops and auto body
and others put their waste down the drains..So,
when you hear about heavy metals,don't think that
they are produced by the human body,but they are
a pollutant put into the waste stream illegally..

Author: John
Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 9:26 am

False. Heavy metals are from plumbing lines.

Author: TCLynx
Monday, January 02, 2006 - 12:11 pm

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I expect that heavy metals are comming from a variety of sources so why pollute your humanure by sending it down those polluted sewer systems.

Author: John
Monday, January 09, 2006 - 8:44 am

The amount of heavy metals that originate from natural sources is often overlooked by many people. They can be eaten with your vegetables, drank with your water, and expelled into your pile. Many of these metals are essential for plant development. Too many though, and the metals become toxic. Compost, however, renders many heavy metals insoluble and limits uptake. (google Rufus Chaney's studies with the USDA)

Not all heavy metals are illegally put into our waste stream, Anonymous (first post). Spreading mis-information gets everybody nowhere.

Water supply systems usually have some amount of heavy metals in them. When used in a household, sent to the wastewater treatment facility, treated, and dewatered, the heavy metals accumulate and can get to a point of toxicity if used repeatedly on the same soils.

Heavy metals are not necessarily pollutants. They are naturally occurring elements needed for the cycle of life. Put too many in one place though and the results can be very toxic.

Author: the ham
Monday, January 09, 2006 - 7:38 pm

The seperation of rocks and other things of the earth through the evolution of such accepted idealogies as chemistry and physics has been largely driven by a profit oriented species called humans. The accepted notion of a "heavy metal" seems queer to me but now that we have accepted and executed the development of such anomolies we're scurrying about trying to redistibute it all to a healthy outcome. I pity the fool (namely me) that is often brought to tears by the whole endeavor. But it does keep everybody on a payroll. I even have problems with the amount of bandwidth I'm consuming in this post and the ensuing polymer secretions in the circuitry that carries it along. What a drag being me.

Author: Larry
Monday, January 09, 2006 - 11:07 pm

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Cheer up, Ham! The burden of being human is heavy nowadays as we come to face our own culpability in wasteful habits. Fortunately there is a path that leads beyond waste. Rescuing the World from nuclear holocaust is a long shot, but saving soil is within our grasp. If we make the effort to use a sawdust toilet the rewards are tangible, encouraging further changes toward sustainable practices.

Author: the ham
Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 11:32 am

Thank you Larry. Peace to you and yours also.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.