There's something I don't get...

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: There's something I don't get...
Author: bobetpine
Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 8:38 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Hi!

I'm a newbie here and read a few conversations here and a composting toilet seems like an interesting idea to me.

BUT there is one thing I don't understand.

I bought lakeside land last summer and I just can't understand how you can possibly let your sh*t stand on the ground without polluting the lake's water when it rains...
And even if someone could explain a logical reason for that I'm pretty sure my municipal officer would never buy that (water is really close to the surface at this place so people have to install Ecoflo sewage systems which is quite expensive)

Anyway at least, please try to convince me!

Oh, by the way, he would permit a traditional outhouse (5 feet deep hole in the ground, lined with planks with a tiny space between them would be ok with him, go figure)

Thanks for your help!

Pascale, the confused newbie

Author: admin
Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 10:43 am

[No profile available] Edit this post

It's not a pile of sh*t - it's a compost pile. Read the book.

Maybe contact Rich Abbott (abbottr@nysnet.net). The Syracuse Water Dept. is converting all lakeside homes to composting toilets in Skaneateles, NY.

Author: Annemarie
Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 1:27 pm

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

There is a waterless toilet that is manufactured in South Africa. It is a sealed unit and is not affected by floods or rainwater. The waste is dry and can be easily removed and used for compost.

Author: codo
Sunday, January 16, 2005 - 4:29 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

In sweden the authorities seem to be worried about this and say your humanure compost heap must have a waterproof base to prevent leaching..

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.