Sparking a hot compost pile

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: Sparking a hot compost pile
Author: Robert Krueger
Thursday, August 26, 2004 - 7:57 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I have been a humanure composter for 3 1/2 years. I have noticed during this time that adding used vegetable oil to my piles increases the temperature into the hot range (over 105 degrees). Since I have an ample supply of used veg. oil from resturants, due to our use in our veg. oil diesel car, I have added 5-10 gallons over several week into each pile. I am guessing that the vegetable oil increases the amount of nitrogen and so brings the C-N ratio into an optimal range for hot composting. I usually add the oil (about 2-3 gallons initially) when the pile is about 70 degrees, and by the next day the pile is usually over 105 on its way to 140+ degrees.
I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this; does increased nitrogen in the veg. oil and its effect on the C-N ratio seem like a likely reason why I am seeing a spark effect? Our piles usually get up to 155 to 160 degrees and stay hot for about 2 and sometimes 3 months.

Author: TCLynx
Monday, January 02, 2006 - 10:46 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I have read that others have seen a pile stay active through a cold winter when they susally freeze when they added oil or wine leavings.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.