Saint Francis

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: Saint Francis
Author: Demeter (Demeter)
Thursday, November 19, 2009 - 3:46 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

[No profile available] Edit this post

Yes, if he read the Humanure Handbook he would know that he needed more cover material, and wood chips are too coarse.

But the documentation of his spiritual journey is quite profound.

Author: Larry_warnberg (Larry_warnberg)
Thursday, November 19, 2009 - 11:29 am

Follow this link to a fun Tricycle magazine article about the spiritual aspects of composting humanure. The author-accolyte could have benefitted from reading The Humanure Handbook.
http://www.tricycle.com/feature/growing-ground?page=0,0

Author: Anonymous
Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 2:12 pm

Mr Jenkins, I bet St. Francis of Assisi would have liked you. He lived in the 13th century & was close to nature. When he died he wanted to be burried at the town dump. Instead of imitating him to honor him they built a big church around his body. I bet he would have believed in humanure composting.

Author: Larry
Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 1:29 pm

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Francis probably didn't use a flush toilet. Finding joy in harmony with Nature, he would have recognized the elegant nutrient cycle endowed upon us, returnng his organic residuals to the Earth.
As a child raised Catholic I was drawn by the stories of Francis communicating with birds and other animals, joining a Franciscan seminary where I learned practical skills for living simply: making sandles and robes, growing and preparing food for the community of students, living happily with less. Many years later, I farm oysters, working in the estuary tideflats with hand tools, without pesticides, using renewable solar and wind energy to power the facilities. My new Humanure Harvester www.jenkinspublishing.com/toilets.html serves customers at the roadside stand. Using a composting toilet is not only a good way to conserve water, return valuable nutrients to the soil, and prevent pollution, but also can be a rewarding spiritual practice that re-connects us to the Earth. The spirit of Francis is alive and well.

Author: limeflower
Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 2:35 am

I've never read about St. Francis. Many years ago I saw "Brother Sun, Sister Moon" for the first time and was deeply struck by its simple message. There must be a yearning for what is pure and real in many people, but perhaps not in everyone. I've read several of the books on the Essenes by Edmond Szekely and also several about fasting for healing and Ann Wigmore's books about raw food and healing. They all have a similar effect on me, reminding me about the vitality of nature.

Author: admin
Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 12:13 pm

I have also read Szekeley's books as well as Ann Wigmore's (decades ago). I haven't heard the name "Ann Wigmore" in ages.

Joe Jenkins

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.