Does anyone use a moisture meter?

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: Does anyone use a moisture meter?
Author: Anonymous
Friday, June 17, 2005 - 9:41 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

[No profile available] Edit this post

I started the humanure process after reading the SFgate article and Joe's book..about 4 months ago. I live in a dry, cold semi-arid climate; low winter ppt (16" or so) and almost no precip in the summer months. Humidity is quite low and evapotranspiration high. The fine cover material is semi-decomposed sawdust (probably white fir) from the local sawmill, and the coarse cover material is rotten barley straw and grass clippings. Additions are made to the pile about once a month. The compost pile has reached 110 degrees so far. However, this last month it barely reached 95 degrees, then started to cool. The straw around the edges was crackly dry, so I watered the pile for awhile, and it got cooler, and now it's slowly starting to heat up again.
Can anyone offer insights on this? Would a moisture meter help? If so, which ones work? Thanks.

Author: admin
Saturday, June 18, 2005 - 12:21 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

My compost it practically wet. I don't think you have to worry about too much moisture in an elevated pile (the excess will drain). Is all your urine going into the pile? It should. Try keeping it wetter. Use gray water if you can.

Joe Jenkins

Author: TCLynx
Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 8:36 pm

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

If it seems to be drying out regularly and you have trouble judging by observation, a plant moisture meter is pretty inexpensive.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.