What about compostable buckets?

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: What about compostable buckets?
Author: Leslie Moreau (Lessismore)
Monday, August 06, 2007 - 5:52 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

[No profile available] Edit this post

Ok, I've been reviewing my options and your feedback (thanks), and I think we'll use the ready-made bins to start. We'll be careful to use lots of cover material and to prepare the site, etc. The pallets will be way too large and hard to fill.
The worst that could happen is that it won't heat properly and we'll have to transfer to a larger bin. That won't be pleasant but it's not likely to happen.
We're placing one of the bins against the house, where it's been composting kitchen stuff for years: don't see why it shouldn't go back there.

Btw, I used to read posts here and wonder why people worried about seemingly insignificant things, but now that I'm ready to do this, I find myself anxious to do it right in the first place and am second guessing some of the things that I actually have complete confidence in.

Author: TCLynx (Tclynx)
Monday, August 06, 2007 - 11:27 am

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Just make sure that the urine is used in the bin along with everything else and you should be able to get up to temp just fine. You will be better off using at least a pallet sized bin as my experiences with garbage bins with holes tells me that keeping a proper amount of cover all around the contents is tricky. The results of not maintaining that proper cover is pretty smelly which is bad on an apartment patio.

Author: Leslie Moreau (Lessismore)
Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 9:42 pm

We're really curious to know if anyone has an update on this topic.

How can single people properly compost all household waste (kitchen, bathroom, some newpaper, etc), achieving the temperatures needed?

I'm ready to build the bins as soon as I figure out the size! I posted this on another thread as well since I can't wait to start.

Author: Brigitta
Sunday, March 05, 2006 - 4:13 pm

I was thinking of those little peat (I think) containers used for transplanting seedlings to the garden - pot and all.
Does anyone know of a 5 gallon bucket size?
Would be less of a cleaning hassle and better than plastic bags (if and when those are needed).
Just thinking...

Author: Anonymous
Sunday, March 05, 2006 - 7:30 pm

I don't think I would want it getting all wet and soggy in the house and then try to carry it out. They also would cost a fair bit and need to be manufactured and transported.
I expect that cleaning a 5 gallon plastic bucket is more cost effective as well as more ecologically sound.
Cleaning the bucket is not that difficuld or nasty. We usually us the used dishwashing water to wash out the bucket. And we manage to do the washing as well as the compoting on our 10' x 10' patio in front of our appartment. So far we have heard not complaints from neighbors.

Author: Rangdrol
Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 2:06 pm

We saw them in 2 gallon size range at the nursery. They are a bit more stout but they do indeed break down like peat pots.
Are you thinking of planting the whole thing or seedlings or something?
I think this is a facinating idea.
You could load the bucket with humanure and a seedling and set it in the hot house. As long as you got it in the ground before the pot gave out.

It might be worth an experiment or three.

Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 2:56 am

I'm not sure that you would get good enough composting happening in a 2 gallon container and if it did compost to sufficient temperatures to be safe and then age for long enough to not damage a seedling, I expect that the peat pot would be long degraded.

Author: Rangdrol
Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 12:00 pm

Yes Yes! That would be a bit too brave even for us.
I was thinking to let the plant take hold not to composte the humanure. I was not thinking fresh humanure at all. I meant filling the peat basket so as to create a "core" column to place a seedling in, our seedlings have a little newspaper tube a bit bigger than a TP roll.

My SO says that the big peat pots do come in larger sizes. They are sold for hanging baskets and are very strong if alowed to dry out, not if they dont.

The size question again! Does anyone have any data on the minimum size a pile needs to be to achive 131 for a few hours?
It has always bothered me that the measurements do not list the temp at different depth from the cover layer. I can see this a weak point in our defense as it were.

Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 9:32 pm

I know that it only took 2 or 3 buckets being added to our garbage bin with holes system and the pile got into the 130s. Food scraps and small amounts of cooking oil are deposited right into our buckets rather than placed in the pile separately.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.