Galvanized garbage cans for toilet?

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: Galvanized garbage cans for toilet?
Author: lindeel
Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 10:44 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

[No profile available] Edit this post

Has anyone used galvanized garbage cans to collect the humanure? We found some that are just a little larger than the 5 gal. buckets and have a sturdy handle and thought they would clean easier, but not sure how they will hold up.

Author: Rangdrol
Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 9:44 am

Hi lindeel.
Galvi wont clean up as good as ABS, PVC etc. The plastics have a smoother surface. Galvi has a very "Toothy" surface. Almost everything loves to stick to it.
We have two stainless steel buckets that are very smooth. You can google and get a supply.
They would clean up as well but are a bit heavy compared to plastics. Much better for the planet than plastics and they should last a life-time or more. Our stainless buckets are well over 50 years old.

Author: Anonymous
Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 7:19 pm

What works well as a tight-fitting lid for a stainless steel bucket?

Author: Larry
Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 10:30 pm

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Why do you need a tight fitting lid? When the bucket is sufficiently full, empty it to the compost pile. An air-tight lid will encourage the organic material to go anaerobic, and more smelly to empty the longer it sits.

Author: Rangdrol
Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 10:34 pm

We don't have any tight lids. We have one HEAVY lid but hardly use it.
The new stainless sellers may have a tight lid for you.
The other nice part of the stainless milk pail is its double handle.

Author: catbox
Monday, May 15, 2006 - 4:16 pm

I too have been looking for a stainless steel something with a handle, and a tight-fitting lid. I have to go down stairs, and then down a slanted yard, to dump a bucket. No way am I doing this without a tight lid.

So far I have found metal buckets with handles and lids, but they aren't stainless steel. About $7.00, and there are 3 and 1/2, 5 and 7 gallon buckets. I looked under "metal buckets" on yahoo to find them.

Also there are at least two versions of heavy-duty, screw-on plastic lids for your plastic buckets. One is to convert a plastic bucket into a pet food container. They were under storage for emergency supplies.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.