Planning Municipal Pilot Project in MS

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: Planning Municipal Pilot Project in MS
Author: Cara Lin Bridgman
Friday, June 16, 2006 - 12:08 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

[No profile available] Edit this post

Hi Amy,

I don't really have an answer to your problem. What I can really say is that I identify with it. In central Taiwan, we can get one meter of rain in 24 hours, but we also go for months without any rain at all.

I am running a humanure compost pile. It is placed under a cover (a carport) and is situated so that when we do have rain, it runs under the pile. While I am adding to the pile, I think it stays moist enough. After I stop adding, though, I do have to remember to water it. When we get typhoons, I assume there is enough wind and spray to keep the pile moist.

Maybe you could consider bins placed above estimated flood levels and under cover. If you have steps up to your public toilets, then maybe hand-washing water could drain into the compost pile. When you stop adding to the pile, I guess you would have to manually innoculate it with earthworms and grubs and other good ground critters native to your area.

Author: Amy B
Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 12:50 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

[No profile available] Edit this post

Many of you may recall that the MS and LA Gulf Coast area were hit by Hurrican Katrina last year. As a result, the areas just North of the immediate coastal cities are experiencing tremendous growth, currently uncontrolled. The group I am working with, the Saucier Improvement Association, is charged with planning for the growth in our town. One of the mandates that has come down is that all the coastal counties will be combined under one sewer system and that the sewers will be extended to the unincorporated areas, no mostly on septic systems.

One of the first developments we have planned is a walkable town center. We believe that the town center will be under development well before the sewer system reaches us. So that reason by itself is enough to send us searching for ways to recycle our graywater and minimize or prevent blackwater. But ultimately, we'd like to prove that our community can manage just fine without sewers, thank you.

At this point, we're not finding many concrete resources that will help us determine whether this concept will be feasible. One question that does not seem to be addressed in any resource is how to build a system that can handle both daily rainfall for weeks and weeks, which we often get and also handle weeks or months without significant rainfall, which we're experiencing now.

Additionally, as a very early test to see what will be acceptable in our area, we are considering putting in composting or solar toilets into the farmer's market which will operate at the site of the future town center until development can begin as an alternative to porta potties.

Does anyone have any resources that could help with either the large, long-term problem or the smaller porta-potty problem?

Thanks;

Amy

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.