Squash vine boarers...

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: Squash vine boarers...
Author: Palmtreepathos (Palmtreepathos)
Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 11:16 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

This year is the first for actually using the humanure compost in my veggie garden. First off my neighbor who was our resident master gardener is sooo jealous. I went from having a not so pretty or productive plot to having one that looks like the garden of eden, 8-)

On the lines of this thread I have for the first time ever had Zucchini plants robust enough to ward off the vine borer. It may be how I planted them though. A 4x10 foot bed, the backside has 27 corn plants inter-planted with pole beans and the zukes planted at the front foot and a half of the corn bed and in between them I planted nasturstiums and radishes. the fragrance of the flowers may be the secret(the radishes totally shaded out). I also grew that bed on virgin soil that had been under a tree that we removed over the winter to expand the garden. My zucchini vines have crossed the 2 ft wide path in front of this bed and are now about 2 ft up a small fence(about 5 ft in length) and still growing. You don't dare turn your back on these things or the zukes look like watermelons!

I too believe in the compost EVERYTHING process but I sequester the rampant weeds and buggy things in a bucket just covered with water til they ferment then I it add to the pile. I believe this fermenting process renders seeds sterile and the bacteria on the roots and bits of soil that I leave on the plants do their part in digesting the offending critters. IMHO
BTW this will be a stinky bucket so you may want to cover it, also it will attract bugs. It makes fresh humanure buckets smell like flowers by comparison. I use it in layer gardening too(fermented weeds under 4 inches of soil and then planted over) and those beds have the most worms by comparison to any in my garden.

Author: Shelly Skye (Shelly)
Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 1:52 pm

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I once read that if you put the diseased plant material in a black plastic bag and set it in the sun for a while (a week or so?) that the heat inside will definately kill any remaining undesirable critters. I would think you could then put the super heat-treated vines in your compost pile with complete confidence of it being safe. I haven't done it myself but it seems like a failsafe plan. Good luck!

Author: heather moser (Stellaria)
Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 9:46 am

[No profile available] Edit this post

We lost our zukes to an immigrant population of squash vine boarers this year (never again- no matter how desperate I am will i buy a single plant start from a commercial place. uuugh)
so i pilled all the vines (they were that far gone) and am now debating whether or not they'd be safe for the humaure pile. My pile regualrly hits 120-130F. Anyone have any experience to share? Will that destroy any remaining eggs? The alternative is burning them, but they got mixed with some other compostables by accident and I am trying to avoid the seperation shuffle.
thanks!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.