One-Year Anniversary

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: One-Year Anniversary
Author: TCLynx (Tclynx)
Monday, September 18, 2006 - 9:52 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Larry wrote
"Having a toilet adjacent to our tent sure was more convenient than walking several hundred yards to the chemical toilet stalls."

Larry, I bet it was far more plesant than going into the chemical toilet stalls too!!!

I've thought about the idea of setting up compost bins and humanure toilets for some festivals around Michigan. The chemical portalets are just so nasty, especially after several days of being full in the sun.

Author: Larry Warnberg (Larry)
Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 10:09 am

[No profile available] Edit this post

Congratulations for successful humanure composting, Wayne. It is satisfying to reap the rewards. Yesterday I emptied the one-year old bin of finished compost, spreading it around the base of ur dozen fruit trees. This annual ritual in the Autumn is building a thick layer of humus to nourish the trees, returning valuable nutrients to the soil. In addition to saving the cost of purchased fertilizer, we have saved about one-third on the water bill by not using the flusher.
Last month my wife and I attended a lively music camp for old-time fiddle tunes. During the week-long camp in a sheep pasture we enjoyed the use of a solar PV-powered fridge, a solar oven, solar walk light, and our portable composting toilet. Thanks to Joe for posting some photos of our toilet stall on his Humanure website. A $60 hunter's blind from www.cabelas.com provides a functional stall for the bucket toilet. Two buckets offered sufficient capacity for the two of us for a full week, including food scraps. I kept a copy of The Humanure Handbook available to show the many curious campers who asked about our toilet. Maybe there will be more porta-composters at the camp next year. Having a toilet adjacent to our tent sure was more convenient than walking several hundred yards to the chemical toilet stalls.

Author: Wayne Ferguson (Hazratio)
Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 7:57 pm

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

It was about this time last year that I began using my humanure compost bin. I started a new pile in June so that the first pile would be ready to use for gardening in the spring.

A few things I've learned:

A layer of hardware cloth on the bottom and one on the top keeps out the mice and moles and such--I highly recommend it.

In the winter, it's OK to accumulate 2 or 3 buckets of humanure and empty them all at once, but in the summer it is better to empty them more often (to avoid maggots or some kind of larvae that would crawl up onto the underside of the lid that I used to cover them with). Emptying the bucket more frequently in the summer also worked out better for the management of the kitchen compost which is more plentyful and more of a problem (with gnats & such).

The first pile is still settling--it is now a few inches below the top of the bin (whereas, in June, it was a few inches above the top).

I must say that I am more enthusiastic than ever about this process and can hardly wait to dig into the first pile next spring.

All the best,

Wayne

http://www.TheFourPrecepts.com/
http://www.TheFourPrecepts.com/waynesorld/
http://www.TheFourPrecepts.com/waynesworld/humanure.html

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.