Starting small. Passive urine composter?

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: Starting small. Passive urine composter?
Author: TCLynx (Tclynx)
Friday, March 30, 2007 - 11:47 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I wouldn't look for a "passive of non-thermophilic" method of dealing with urine. Urine is the perfect additive to get almost any compost pile to heat up!!! Urine doesn't require a thermophilic process to make it safe as poo does but it won't hurt it.

For example, a pile of leaves will eventually compost on their own but depending on the moistre and conditions they may sit for a very long time before breaking down. If you add a bit of urine into the middle of the pile, they will start to heat up and break down much more quickly.

Don't go burrying that urine deep in the ground where it will only mess with the ground water supply (not with any pathogens but with the minerals in it)! Either use it to heat up the compost pile or keep spredding it around the yard as you have been doing. Urine (if not constantly put in just one spot where it will burn plants just as an overapplication of fertilizer would) is a wonderful firtilizer. If you got a stump you want to rot away, urine is good for that too.

Author: Joe Jenkins (Joe)
Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 12:02 pm

I use a humanure toilet with a five gallon (20 liter) receptacle pre-filled with sawdust (80% filled) indoors, although it could be located anywhere. This makes a perfect urinal which will suit one person for a couple weeks before needing emptied onto the compost pile. The reason it's only filled 80% is because additional sawdust will be needed to cover the contents the more it's used, in order to prevent odor. When you urinate on top of the sawdust, eventually an odor will develop unless you sprinkle more clean sawdust over top.

Author: Patrick (Pcinca)
Monday, March 26, 2007 - 11:20 am

Positive, there is nothing wrong with random locations to urinate in your yard- this has been my choice for years, but quite often, I use a coffee can when I'm a ways from the house and then I dump it in the compost bin.

Your idea of a "hollow bamboo/pipe" recepticle is an interesting concept- even better if it is sunk into a compost pile where it will add to the thermophilic action and then become future plant food.

Author: positive_pcr (Positive_pcr)
Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 7:39 pm

For a while I have been relying on the great outdoors of my backyard to handle my liquid waste needs in a rather random fashion. I'm ready to take the next small step and am looking for something a little more permanent. In particular, I am brainstorming solutions to create a natural urinal to be situated steps from my backdoor. Something just for me that relies on passive (non-thermophilic) composting that can handle maybe 5 litres of liquid a week. And something that is a little less "splash-your-boots" than my current method of watering my azaleas.

I was thinking something along the lines of a cleverly crafted hollow bamboo receptical/pipe planted deep in the ground or even in a half whiskey barrel along with some nitrogen loving plants. Something that doesn't make people ask, "Umm, do you pee in that?" Low-maintenance for me might involve refreshing the whole setup with new garden compost or filler once or twice a year. Does anyone know any similar set-ups? Thoughts? Suggestions?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.