Round worms and pregnancy

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: Round worms and pregnancy
Author: Noah Elbers (Rainaged)
Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 1:37 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Thanks Joe, I'll see about doing what you recommend. The stool samples came up negative, but I was told that it is a difficult test to be sure about since the eggs are so small.

Author: Joe Jenkins (Joe)
Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 1:02 pm

The roundworm infection probably didn't come from the compost. Where it came from is anyone's guess. Have you traveled abroad? If I were you, I would try to think of where the infection could have originated. A friend of mine once passed a roundworm - he lived in a city, never had a garden or compost, and was a complete vegetarian.

In any case, I would think that composting would be the best thing to do, especially if you're letting the compost rest for a year after building the pile. If you're worried about the compost, have the finished compost tested for roundworm ova after the aging process. If it tests positive (unlikely), let it sit another year and test it again. I would be very interested in knowing what data you collect.

Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 9:04 am

We have used a small amount of the compost on the garden, but mostly it goes onto pasture and under fruit trees.

Author: Tassiejohn (Tassiejohn)
Friday, June 22, 2007 - 4:23 am

Although it doesn't say a lot about how long the round worm lives in the soil, this from wikipedia has some good background info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ascariasis

Author: Richard Aaron Weirick (Richard_w)
Friday, June 22, 2007 - 12:14 am

Noah, certainly would be upsetting as I can imagine. One question: do you use the compost in your garden? Otherwise, even if the heat and time didn't kill the roundworms and any eggs (highly unlikely) the cycle would be broken as far as your contamination is concerned. I would be concerned with the origin of the infection.

Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 5:26 pm

Hello fellow composters, This is my first post, so I'll add some background. I have been composting my family's humanure for six years, and have enjoyed the work and watching the thermophilic process, especially in winter here in the cold.
A few weeks ago, my pregnant wife passed a long worm, that was later determined to be a round worm. This was upsetting to say the least, and put both of us in a defensive posture around our choice of toilet facilities. (we have a flush toilet connected to a septic, but have chosen to continue with the sawdust system.)
I think my methods are fairly standard, in that I collect several buckets, take them all out to the pile along with kitchen scraps, open up the pile, add new material, cover the whole thing up, wait for a year after pile is filled etc. We get good heat I believe, 108 to 125 regularly.
My two questions for the group are:
1 Has anyone been through this, especially during pregnancy?
2 What did I do wrong to have this happen and how likely are we to have this be an ongoing problem?
Thanks for any and all feedback.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.