Collecting Urine Outside the Bucket

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: Collecting Urine Outside the Bucket
Author: Karaba (Karaba)
Sunday, February 21, 2010 - 9:24 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

[No profile available] Edit this post

I have a plot of land in kenya and a small charity
www.h2ototo.org
I want to use a humanure toilet inside my house. What i want is to build 2 toilets inside the house in an elevated position say on the first floor 10 feet (2 to 3 metres) above the gound . My idea is to have a large diameter tube sloping at between 45 and 60 degrees acting as a chute to the outside heap. The humanure would be deposited into a bucket lined with straw /sawdust at base and up the sides .I would design flap/flush mechanisms much like those on aeroplanes without the suction using garvity . The flush/flap would allow the humanure to be covered with sawdust immediately . Another flap at base of bucket could open and deposit the contents into the sloping chute straight into the composting heap immediately outside the house.the heap could be partially covered,but allowed to operate in the same way as a normal heap with the option of adding vegetable matter worms etc from a separate chute. I would have 2 toilets operating alternately to allow proper composting . Access to the heap from outside would be made easy , but it would not be necessary to take a trip daily to empty buckets .
I also thought of a spray gun in the toilet to spray small quantities of water under pressure into the bucket /chute for cleanliness.

Qu what are thoughts on urine mixed with faeces direct. would it be better to have a separate chute for the urine.Odour being the problem when mixed .

The whole process of manual removal of the waste is the main problem with locals.I should know my wife is from rural africa. the subject is taboo . My idea is to make the toilet it a prototype to spread the word. help ...

Any one any ideas ??????

Author: Joe Jenkins (Joe)
Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 9:57 pm

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I do essentially the same thing, but I put the organic material (sawdust, in my case) in a bucket with a lid. Then, I can keep it indoors. When full, it goes into the compost pile. You can't fill it with organic material first, however, or you will have odors. You use it like a toilet, adding organic material as you "go." So there are two buckets - one to go in and one to get sawdust out of.

Author: Alan J Marshall (Ecointerest)
Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 3:44 pm

Herb, I am trying the same sort of experiment, using our local and native eucalypti mulch and debris from the forest floor. Like your pine needles, my heaps are turning black and breaking down well. (My belief is that the local bacteria/micro-organisms/fungi can play a useful part in any composting, wherever it is done.)

But the addition of urine to the Humanure process is important for the hot composting, as I understand it.

Author: Herb Stamser (Herb)
Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 2:07 pm

I haven't been around for awhile, so this may have already been discussed, but I have a new method of collecting urine for the compost bin.

Since I use plastic bags and not the bucket method, I normally just urinate outside (remote rural locale). But I always knew I was losing a valuable resource that way. Then, just this spring I was raking up old grass, leaves, and pine needles and I thought, "Hey, why not urinate on one of these piles to collect urine for the compost bin?"

So I strategically (and discreetly) placed 3 different piles around my place consisting of raked up dead grass, leaves, and pine needles and now urinate on them. In time the piles will be moved into the compost bin. Already I notice that the pine needles turn black as some kind of reaction is taking place. Anybody know what that reaction might be?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.