Benefits of Adding Peat to the Compos...

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: Benefits of Adding Peat to the Compost Bin?
Author: Joe Jenkins (Joe)
Monday, May 19, 2008 - 11:48 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Sawdust serves the same function as peat - capturing nitrogen, preventing runoff, etc.

Author: Herb Stamser (Herb)
Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 12:46 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Altho this information comes from a Canadian peat industry source, it does suggest an interesting feature of adding peat to compost piles. The claim is made here that it reduces runoff and due to its acidity, peat traps and saves nitrogen that often escapes from compost heaps as ammonia.

Does sawdust essentially serve this same function, or does peat have additional value in the humanure compost bin? Anyone know? Joe?

This interests me very much because I have a peat deposit here and have been digging the stuff in small amounts for years and using it for gardening purposes. In the past I tried it for "flushing" the bucket (bag in my case), but didn't like it as much as sawdust. But now I'm wondering if adding peat to the compost bin might help make a superior end product.

A trinity of poop, peat, & sawdust would seem to make a really nicely balanced blend, eh?

===========

aus: http://www.peatmoss.com/pm-flfaq.php

What are the advantages of blending peat moss into my compost pile?

Sphagnum peat moss can improve the composting process by speeding up the decomposition. Peat moss also retains water and reduces leaching of nutrients in the soil and minimizes odors in the compost pile. Because of its acidity, peat moss will trap and save valuable nitrogen sources that often escapes compost heaps as ammonia.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.