Dry sawdust in bucket

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: Dry sawdust in bucket
Author: Joe Jenkins (Joe)
Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 8:30 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Nice looking compost bins.

Author: Marc Van Hummelen (Rowan)
Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 12:45 pm

Hello all, I wanted to give you a little update on my efforts to pump up the heat of my compost bin. It appears that kilndried sawdust is not a problem, a minimum of mass is the problem. I've been adding to the bin for 4,5 months and gradually the average temperature went up. Today, with an ambient temperature of -6C I measured +40C in the pile. Here's a link to some pictures I took today of my compost site: http://picasaweb.google.be/sorbusier/CompostBins?feat=directlink
Best wishes for 2009 to all of you. Marc

Author: Tassiejohn (Tassiejohn)
Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 6:35 am

Marc, an excellent result! I've only recently got a thermometer. For the last couple of years I just worked on the principle that if it steams when I pull the cover material off it must be doing something!

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 7:02 am

John, I have finally discovered what was wrong: my thermometer got rusted on the inside and was stuck at 22C! I've paid 25 euro for the damn thing and it worked for about two weeks. Expensive is no guarantee for quality, I can guarantee you that. I thought I could stick my finger in the compost pile and feel for myself how warm it is, but uhm, no thanks anyway (little joke haha...). Marc

Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 5:46 am

Marc, I'm certainly no expert on composting but the things I notice made a difference to my pile are keeping the moisture level roughly right (so everything in the pile is damp. Usually having saturated buckets of sawdust plus a bit of rain is enough - which means adding water in our dryer summers). Also keeping a good thick layer of straw or weeds (say 10 inches or more) over the top seems to help keep the heat in.

We're always adding kitchen scraps too, plus regular dumps of weeds or grass clippings. I guess a good variety of materials must help the process, and the finished product. Our bin takes the humanure from 4 people. Perhaps if you're only one person you're not really getting a 'critical mass' of material - which would make it a lot less likely to heat up?

Still, it all rots down to humus after a while whether it heats up or not :-)

Cheers,

John

Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 10:22 am

Yes Tassiejohn, it does come from the carpenter and it's very dry, but in my bucket it does get completely saturated. I've already decided to store the sawdust outside. I've got a compost site with three compartments (made of old pallets and simply flung together with a few nails, still, it holds up), I'm going to fill one up with my stock of sawdust and see how it will evolve. Meanwhile my current heap is stuck at 25C. I'm not worried about it, but it is more of a reward of one's efforts to see the temperature rise like that ;-)

Monday, October 06, 2008 - 5:40 am

Marc,

Is your fresh sawdust from a carpenters shop? i.e. are you using sawdust from kiln dried timber? I don't really know if it makes a difference but I'm using fresh sawdust (eucalyptus) from the local sawmill which is 'green', from freshly felled trees. I store it in a big bag in the garage - so it doesn't rot at all before use, but the compost pile it sitting at over 55 degrees (Celsius, so that's 130 Fahrenheit). Perhaps if the sawdust is very dry it might help to store it outside to get a bit of rain thru it and start the decomposition?

Author: Guy Floyd (Gfloyd)
Friday, October 03, 2008 - 2:54 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

I have been using the Humanure toilet system for a couple of months too and found that peat moss works best. Nice and dark and absolutely no smell. My compost heap heats up to 120 degrees quickly after adding the buckets and kitchen scraps, then after 3 or 4 days cools down to 100 to 105. What an awesome system. My family is slowing coming around to the idea, but an owner of a local hotel/hotspring has built 5 beautiful sawdust toilets patterned after the Lovable Loo!!

Friday, October 03, 2008 - 7:43 am

Hello there, I'm using a dry toilet since august. As cover material I started out with wood shavings, but the bucket filled up too fast with that. Now I'm using fresh sawdust, meaning straight from the factory and very dry. I've noticed that Joe always talks about rotted sawdust, having a big pile of it in his garden. I wonder if that pile doesn't start composting itself when left in the open? My compost pile doesn't heat up properly, I wonder if it's due to the freshness of the sawdust? I make sure that the sawdust is thoroughly wet with urine before I throw it on the pile.
Thanks for any advice. Marc

Author: Joe Jenkins (Joe)
Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 4:05 pm

You are doing the right thing. The sawdust composts better if wet with urine. I like to top off the toilet containers with urine if possible, or at least collect as much urine as I can before emptying the container, rather than have a lot of dry sawdust in the toilet receptacle. As long as the compost bin is above ground and not in a pit, the material will compost. Although compost organisms may be starved of oxygen in an underwater situation, they will also be starved for mobility in a too dry situation. The material in the compost pile, therefore, should be damp. Excess liquid will drain downward into the organic material in the pile and feed the existing compost organisms or it will absorb into the existing organic mass.

I did an experiment recently, depositing the contents of humanure toilets into an enclosed container, then draining the liquid leachate from the bottom and recirculating it over the top using a pump and clear plastic tubing. The container held the contents of ten 5 gallon receptacles. In about 5 days, the liquid disappeared. It seemed to have absorbed into the organic mass. Some may have evaporated. After five days, when I ran the pump, nothing passed through the tubing, although at first, lots passed through. The pump was on a timer, like 5 minutes every hour.

This suggests that the "excess" urine can be absorbed by the organic mass even before thermophilic composting has begun.

Author: Dan Holmes (Strawman)
Monday, July 21, 2008 - 4:01 pm

Hi everyone, it has been a long time since I posted. Have a question regarding the dry sawdust in the bucket after you have covered the last crap. Do you just empty the bucket with the dry sawdust or add urine to it in some way.

I have been putting the full bucket outside with a lid on it and urinating in it until all the sawdust is saturated. Also because we have a bedroom located 100' from the house we use a chamber pot at night which can go into the full bucket. I have noticed that when emptying my bins I no longer have any dry patches of sawdust in the middle of my compost.

The reason for the question is because I was cruising through Joe's book "again" and on page 53 he sais that I am basically drowning my arobic bacteria in liquid which is a common problem with home made composting toilets. My bins are cooking fine but that could be just from all the kitchen scraps we put in.
Just looking for some fine tuning. Thanks for you imput.

Strawman

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.