Portable toilet in housetruck

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: Portable toilet in housetruck
Author: Freth Stifter (Freth)
Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 11:34 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

As a commercial truck driver, I live in an 18-wheeler truck. There are places in this country where there are no cities or toilets ... just wide-open country. Sometimes there are emergency situations (diarrhea) that require a toilet NOW! Sometimes you run out of hours and have to park and sleep with no facilities around. A bucket lined with a trash bag and a container of compost to cover it, works perfectly ... without all the smells normal in a truck using a chemical toilet. I put a zip tie on the bag and deposit it in the dumpster at the truck-stop.

Author: Joe Jenkins (Joe)
Monday, August 18, 2008 - 6:55 pm

That makes more sense.

Author: astar (Astar)
Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 5:29 am

[No profile available] Edit this post

Hi Joe,

I wouldn't feel ok about emptying into a dumpster. The cassette toilet is designed to empty into one of these:

http://www.lahaciendarvpark.com/images/amenities_dump.jpg

Not ideal, but getting there.

Author: Joe Jenkins (Joe)
Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 3:31 pm

You can empty a sawdust toilet into a dumpster if you use a plastic bag liner that you can lift out of the toilet when full. This is not something I would recommend, because it creates waste, but you can have an odor-free, chemical-free toilet in a house truck this way.

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 7:20 am

Hi Alan,

I don't have any extra storage room when I'm travelling unfortunately. But the EM thing is interesting, I hadn't thought of that. That might work in some of the places where I can build humanure compost rather than just 'dumping' i.e. on other people's land.

I think the cassette toilets work using small amounts of water. Presumably that is what makes them easy to empty into dump stations. Is there any reason I can't add water to a sawdust toilet to make it more pourable when emptying? (assuming that I can find a way of pouring it into the right sized pipe). Would smell become an issue with added water?

Author: Alan J Marshall (Ecointerest)
Monday, August 11, 2008 - 1:24 pm

Astar, I have also pondered this for some time. I would think you are right in saying it would be too tricky emptying the toilet.
To store the humanure in a sealed 5-gal bucket for any length of time would create anaerobic conditions. This would presumably become pretty smelly. The only answer as far as I know is to use "EM" (Effective Micro-organisms, see website if you Google it). This allows the contents to ferment, rather than putrify, and you don't get foul odours from it. In other words, not the Humanure system, but maybe you could store the EM container until finding someone to accept it for composting. This might prove totally impractical though.
Has anyone got other ideas?

Monday, August 11, 2008 - 6:27 am

Hi everyone,

Hoping someone can help with this. I need to set up a toilet in a housetruck fairly quickly, that can be emptied into both a composting system and/or into a dump station (like there are in camping grounds), but mainly I'll be using the dump stations. I'm thinking of buying a cassette toilet but need to know if I can use it without chemicals, or using a substitute for the chemicals. I'm not sure what the chemicals are for - to cover smell, or if they help break things down so that the cassette can be emptied easier.

I'd be happy with a sawdust toilet but think it will be too tricky emptying it.

Does anyone have experience with this, or ideas?

thanks,
astar

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.