Considering Humanure Composting in NE...

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: Considering Humanure Composting in NE BRAZIL
Author: Joe Jenkins (Joe)
Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 8:16 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Mike, did you look at the bamboo toilet video? http://jenkinspublishing.com/videos.html#bamboo

Author: Marc Van Hummelen (Rowan)
Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 5:53 am

Hello Mike, I've seen structures made of concrete, metal, bricks, plastic and wood of course. Just make it with what is readily available, the composting process depends more on its volume and contents than on the material that keeps everything together.
Marc

Author: Mike Spee (Speemike)
Monday, March 09, 2009 - 12:57 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

Another thing that I was hesitant about was using wood for the toilet structure in a harsh environment like this, because a colleague of mine said it has a tendency to not last very long here, plus it is rather expensive due to scarcity. Does anyone have any experience with other materials, maybe bricks or concrete, or anything else? I would appreciate any suggestions.

Monday, January 05, 2009 - 1:32 pm

Thanks for the quick responses and advice, guys, I'm really looking forward to starting this project up and excited to see what we can do. I need to do a little more research about this area, but I think the grey water source should be good, and I'll definitely be covering the compost piles, both to keep in moisture in the dry season and to protect them from being absolutely bombarded by the intense rain of the rainy season! I'll be sure to post again once things get going!

Author: Burra (Burra)
Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 8:53 am

We go for months without rain, too. I do have to add some water in the summer - grey water is fine. And I find a canvas sheet spread over the top helps keep the precious moisture in.

Author: Joe Jenkins (Joe)
Friday, January 02, 2009 - 1:32 pm

What about collecting grey water and using it to keep the compost damp?

Friday, January 02, 2009 - 12:19 pm

Hey Joe and everyone else,

I'm currently living and working in NE Brazil, a semi-arid region. My work deals primarily with water supply and sanitation, and a colleague of mine recently gave me a copy of The Humanure Handbook, and I couldn't put it down! I'm now excited to get a composting toilet project going here.

The one thing I'm worried about is a lack of moisture in the pile. Some places here won't get a single drop of rain for 8 months at a time, with temperatures constantly in excess of 30 deg C, and with water already in short supply I don't want to tell them they have to use some to water the compost pile. Will the compost pile dry out and stop working? I plan to follow the instructions in the book and have people collect everything, feces, urine, kitchen scraps, etc. And if it does dry out to much, would it still kick back in with some moisture when the rainy season starts up and be alright after sufficient time passes?

I'd appreciate any advice, or if anyone has experience in similar regions I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks,
Mike

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.