Humanure composting in a mobile home

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: Humanure composting in a mobile home
Author: Wanderingfootsteps (Wanderingfootsteps)
Monday, April 24, 2017 - 5:06 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I'm also interested in the information being discussed on this thread. Have just built a dry, urine-diverting toilet into our little bus conversion because I'm trying to reduce mass and empty less frequently.

We are FULL-time on the road so do not have compost bins at home. I'd like to find a way for my solids to be composted after. I would love to create a system on the chassis or roof where I could dump my food scraps and solids and create compost - or at least start it off, giving me the time to find people during our travels that might want it. But I'm so new at all of this (first dry toilet, never yet used, never done compost) that I don't know where to start. And it seems no one has ever tried making humanure on the road??? Anyone have any guidance?

Author: Tanyagoestiny (Tanyagoestiny)
Friday, August 26, 2016 - 3:19 pm

I'm thinking about using my black tank in my RV as a composter. Does anyone have any experience with this? I'd add a sifting screen, urine diverter, and an access area. Does this seem doable or is it too impractical?

Author: Test2 (Test2)
Saturday, February 13, 2010 - 2:59 am

[No profile available] Edit this post

Utopian makes very good points. Looks like aerobic will take place, but will enough heat build up in such a small machine ? (My apriori guess is no). And you do need heat - see the Humanure Handbook. On the other hand, it looks insulated - may help with heat retention. Ask the company if so called "regular compost" in general heats up enough in it and for long enough.

Also, worms and insects will not be able to enter the machine and those critters also help make the compost safer.

Author: Utopian (Utopian)
Saturday, February 06, 2010 - 11:47 pm

I don't believe that will be a useful alternative for humanure composting. Have you read the Humanure Handbook? If so, you should remember that humanure requires time and temperature to render the humanure safe. That device is not big enough to produce adequate temperature, especially if you are not including urine, so you would need to hold it for over two years. It's too small to hold a year's worth of collections. The only way I could see it working is if you had an entire bank of them lining the back of the house.

Author: Tobybrown (Tobybrown)
Thursday, October 29, 2009 - 2:41 am

Hey, i'm trying to figure out the same thing- there seems to be very few people doing it...

I guess the main consideration with that system is how quickly it would fill up. If it really could render the humanure safe in 8 weeks, it probably could work...

Author: Meismeems (Meismeems)
Tuesday, August 25, 2009 - 5:05 pm

Wow, that looks like an interesting composter. Let us know how it works for you, Justin!

Author: Justin Peer (Mr_magicfingers)
Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 3:55 am

[No profile available] Edit this post

Hi all, first post here and loving the amazing amount of information on offer.

I'm about to start building a mobile home, similar in design to this: http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/houses/weebee/

I'm planning to use a composting toilet but, because I may be moving occasionally and being on other people's land, I can't have a regular compost pile.

There'll only be me living in it, and I thought perhaps of using this solution.

Standard sawdust toilet, but with a urine diverter to cut down on the bulk, urine being used for direct watering of gardens/grass/trees after dilution.

Then putting the the bucket waste into one of these: http://www.smartsoil.co.uk/ which could be hung on the back of the house and have kitchen and other waste added too.

Would that be a usable alternative do you think?

Thanks,

J.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.