Rainwater Run-off?

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: Rainwater Run-off?
Author: Texascharlie (Texascharlie)
Saturday, July 11, 2009 - 1:20 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I hear ya Demeter.. I would give it a go on a larger tract, but my 4 acres is not big enough to really hide it if I had to if ya know what I mean. We are also doing this on a shoestring.. so the "right" way to fight this uphill isn't a doable thing for us either.. rock..meet hard place.. :-(

Author: Demeter (Demeter)
Friday, July 10, 2009 - 11:44 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

This is why it's best to do your trials under the radar.

Some places require a septic system whether you use it or not.

Friday, July 10, 2009 - 10:19 pm

Our rainfalls are feast or famine a lot of the time here in Central Texas. The run-off testing would look like the right idea...

My wife talked for over an hour today with the county official over the sewage and drainage and basically, he was for it, but said the current regulations do not support it and that it could possibly be doable if I went to the expense of having engineers design it, the state approve it and then he would grant a variance to the county laws. In other words, not anytime soon.. :-(

Author: Demeter (Demeter)
Wednesday, July 08, 2009 - 8:11 pm

The most convincing thing to do is to test the runoff.

Author: Nancybeetoo (Nancybeetoo)
Wednesday, July 08, 2009 - 2:13 pm

Charlie,
In our wet Oregon winters I keep a plywood cover on the compost during periods of especially prolonged or heavy rain. In the spring and fall the compost can use the extra moisture. And in our dry summers I add a little water when I think of it. Does your region gets the summer monsoon rains where an inch of water can fall in a single day? The compost might not be able to absorb all that rainfall over such a short period of time. You might consider doing some kind of rain harvesting and add the water to the compost over time. What is the annual rainfall where you live?

Nancy in Oregon

Wednesday, July 08, 2009 - 10:37 am

I read that the compost piles should be about 1/2 sun 1/2 shade.. in the videos this appears to be the case. I am wondering how a good hard rain would effect the compost pile and how to tell the county people who will already be freaking out over no septic system that the rainwater run-off from this will be ok?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.