CAMBODIA

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: CAMBODIA
Author: Xenos (Xenos)
Sunday, September 06, 2009 - 5:28 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

[No profile available] Edit this post

Hello Nick,

That is a wonderful project you have going! I gather the school is a boat, somewhat akin to the Dayak people's arrangements?

In Tonle Sap, I would put a regular roof (of whatever materials customarily are used to build one) over the pile. During monsoons, plenty of sideways rain will reach it. For the rest of the year, the urine and any other juicy stuff which is added will be fully adequate to the process.

Author: Nick (Nick)
Tuesday, August 18, 2009 - 4:53 am

It's for a floating school of 50 students, the compost will be located on near by land. The compost could make a good barganing chip, using a farmers land in return giving them the compost. The main reason behind it is to minimize the amount of waste going into it.

Going through the design, we will use bricks as it creates a more solid structure, but will put weep holes in the side for air.

In terms of adding food, I'm not too sure - it will be encouraged but the Cambodian people are not too fond of wasting food as there is a lack of it.

In order to keep the rain out we were thinking of a piece of corrogated iron over the top to stop it from reciving monsoonal rain. Can this metal stay on it permanently or does it require an open roof?

-Nick

Author: Joe (Joe)
Monday, August 17, 2009 - 4:32 am

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

1) Worms will not increase the speed, but *may* increase the quality of the finished compost.

2)The smaller the particles, the better (to a point), or to put it another way, the more accessible the cellulose (carbon) material to the bacteria, the better, so you may have better luck with rice husks than shavings. Did you look at my video showing planting trials with shavings compost vs sawdust compost? http://humanurehandbook.com/videos.html#trials

3)The walls should not affect the compost.

4) Is there a reason to decrease the time? How many bins are needed depends on how much compost you're making. How many people, how many days of use, etc. Also, are you adding food materials (you should be), are you adding other materials such as garden weeds, etc.?

Author: Nick (Nick)
Friday, August 14, 2009 - 2:21 am

G'day,
I currently study Civil and Construction Engineering in Australia and along with some friends are trying to create a composting system for Tonle Sap in Cambodia. I just have a few questions that I have been trying to research but cannot seem to find the full answers. The school is on water, so the compost will have to be on the mainland - it also has roughly 50 students (attending 7am-11am).

1) Is it possible to add worms into the compost (In rural Australia, people who do not have main septics, empty into tanks that have worms in them)? would this increase the speed of composting?

2) Instead of pine shavings, could they use bamboo shavings or even rice husks?

3)I believe it may be better to use bricks/clay for the main composting pile (instead of wood)as it is prone to monsoonal weather. Will this affect the composting at all? in order to make it breathe we were thinking of adding pipes for breathing.

4) I take it the compost has to be left for roughly 1 year, could this be cut down due to their high humidity and hot temperatures? Also, how many composting bins would be really need?

Thanks for your time and I admire your work.

-Nick ;)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.