Alternative to saw dust

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: Alternative to saw dust
Author: Efaure (Efaure)
Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 8:11 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

My paper shredder makes long strips. Not the "confetti". We started our toilet off with SP and it was too bulky and as a result the odor control wasn't there. Also, the paper seemed to have a short absorbency which became counter-productive as the bucket volume increased. I wasn't pleased with SP and went to Peat moss before I found a source of usable Sawdust. Maybe with a finer shred=confetti, maybe it will work. I don't know. Recyclable office paper is sure an abundance though! What size of shredded paper were you thinking of or do you have?

Author: Meismeems (Meismeems)
Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 5:05 pm

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

You'll have to experiment with various cover materials available in your area. I didn't have good luck with shredded paper only, it works better if mixed with a finer cover material such as sawdust or coir.

Good for you for taking the bold step to using a great 'green' toilet system!

Author: Peacepie (Peacepie)
Wednesday, October 14, 2009 - 5:51 am

[No profile available] Edit this post

Hello, im trying to start up a compost toilet! very exciting for me but i have some questions... does anyone know if its ok to use newspater cut up vert small- say in a shredder instead of saw dust?? will this do the job???

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.