Talking publically about humanure

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: Talking publically about humanure
Author: Larry_warnberg (Larry_warnberg)
Thursday, March 08, 2012 - 9:03 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

[No profile available] Edit this post

Here's a guy with a groovy rap extolling the joys of humanure composting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxCu3-sVDrA&feature=youtu.be

Author: Joe (Joe)
Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 9:00 pm

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Yes, we have acreage. I wanted to add that in 30 years that's the only problem, if you want to call it that, that I have had.

Author: Demeter (Demeter)
Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 12:07 pm

Joe, you rock!

But aren't you in a somewhat rural area with acreage? When one lives in suburbia where they dictate how tall your grass should be and whether your garage door is open or shut, I think it's best to err on the side of caution. Maybe in a few more years I'll be braver.

Author: Joe (Joe)
Wednesday, March 17, 2010 - 9:35 pm

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

The sanitation disaster in Haiti would not be taking place if they had humanure sanitation in place and operating. In fact, I'm headed to Haiti soon to see what i can do to help out.

Story: last summer some low-life neighbors called the PA DEP and complained anonymously that I was dumping toxic waste on my property. This was their pathetic form of retaliation against me for joining in with a group of neighbors and suing the local municipality for granting an illegal building permit to an air polluting industry. The DEP came out in an unmarked car and searched around my property without me knowing it, then came into my office (this is my business property where I have two operating humanure toilets and a few compost bins out back). The friendly gentleman informed me of the anonymous complaint. He also stated that he had inspected the property and found no evidence of any toxic waste, therefore he considered the complaint without merit and baseless. That was the end of that.

I have been very open about my sanitation system, speaking on the radio, doing newspaper interviews, TV interviews, doing a lot of speaking engagements (all by invitation) and of course writing about it and having an internet presence. The system, when properly managed, can't be beat by any government mandated waste disposal system. It produces no waste, no pollution and no threat to public health.

That doesn't mean that a narrow minded, ignorant person won't imagine the worst and try to interfere. But in 30 years, that's the worst thing that has happened to me.

Author: Demeter (Demeter)
Wednesday, March 17, 2010 - 9:53 am

You can talk about Humanure in general, but at this time, IMHO it's more important for you to continue to "be the change you would like to see" (Gandhi). You really don't know who might rat on you. There are a few stories on this forum about bureaucrats who have gone berserk when they find out someone is dumping human "waste" into the environment.

Author: Nancybeetoo (Nancybeetoo)
Thursday, February 11, 2010 - 2:30 pm

The recent earthquake in Haiti and subsequent sanitation disaster (maybe really on ongoing disaster), has brought up for me the question of who I talk to about my humanure toilet, and how loudly and openly I talk about it.

I find myself being torn between keeping quiet for safety, and wanting to share the message with anybody who will listen. It is so important for me to do this composting toilet. I cannot imagine going back to flushing. I really fear being shut down if my operation came to the attention of the city.

Any thoughts? Reassurance, scary stories?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.