ALBERTA, CANADA

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: ALBERTA, CANADA
Author: Pcinca (Pcinca)
Sunday, June 06, 2010 - 4:32 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Irmalcol, the buckets can be pretty gross and smelly when first emptied so the sooner the cover material is added, the better- out of sight, out of mind. I don't ever empty my buckets when I know the neighbors will be around to see or smell the process and you might want to choose a time when there is little to no pedestrian traffic near by. All you (don't) need is for some up-tight person to observe you emptying the buckets, then the s*** could hit the fan if they reported this to the health authorities... Again- "out of sight, out of mind" is my motto.

Author: Danilo (Danilo)
Sunday, June 06, 2010 - 10:37 am

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

My compost bins are 3,5 meters (11,5 feet) from road, bins is facing towards the house, so from road can be seeing only boards. When I emptying the receptacle, there is a little smell, when you stand close to the receptacle, but not if you are standing few steps away. When I finished, bin doesn't smell, and look pretty, covered with grass or straw.

Perhaps you should do back side of bins little higher (1,7 meters 5,5 feet), so people from lane can't look straight in your compost bins, and emptying receptacles when there are not a lot of people in lane.

Author: Irmalcol (Irmalcol)
Friday, June 04, 2010 - 1:17 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

I live in an urban residential area in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, and am just setting up a humanure compost system in my backyard. The system is not for our house here, but for our cabin at a lake. We have no running water or septic system there (though most people do) and outhouses have recently been banned. We will be using 5 gallon buckets which we will truck back to the city for use in the backyard compost bins. We decided to compost in the city because we had old existing compost bins (which I have nearly finished rehabilitating) as well as the ability to add food scraps/lawn clippings/leaves.

My main issue is that the compost bins I am using are located right along the fence (which is low and offers little privacy) right alongside our back lane. We are near a large university, so there is a lot of pedestrian traffic in the lane. I'm wondering how obvious it would be to other people what I am doing when emptying the buckets. How bad, if at all, does it smell/look before applying cover material? I'm trying to decide how discrete to be when using the system.

(Message edited by irmalcol on June 04, 2010)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.