Heating with Humanure Compost

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: Heating with Humanure Compost
Author: Johnnycompost (Johnnycompost)
Tuesday, July 19, 2011 - 10:39 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

the wood chips have a carbon to nitrogen ratio that i believe to be 600 to 1 there fore they cook very slowly adding urine to my tree trimmings pile has actually caused them to restart so to speak and top heat back up. I find that moisture is a big issue with the chips and they dry and crust very quickly. I am going to try and play with soaking paper and cardboard and once that it drips out the excess water added that in layers to my piles as well. Most of the ground work for this was done by Jean Pain but there are no boks that he wrote on what he did atleast I cant find it if there is.

Author: Mollynorton (Mollynorton)
Thursday, February 03, 2011 - 4:07 am

Hello, I live in eastern Rwanda and just built an earth block house. Our urine-diverting toilet seats/stool are inside the house, leading to a cement-lined latrine pit outside the house. The latrines are shaped like backwards L's, the idea being that we could pull the waste back and it would get heat from sunlight hitting the metallic doors. But oops! we built a huge water tank up the hill, and the metallic doors get NO sunlight at all. The tank really can't be moved.

So we have placed black bins in the latrine pit, thinking we could just pull the bins out when they are full and put them in direct sunlight (they are black) to get some heat going in there, and then move them to a compost pile.

Will the waste compost at all in the bins while they are still in the latrine pit? Or no because there isn't much heat in there (in fact, it feels more like an underground cellar - nice and cool!)? When I move the bins into the sun, should i poke holes in it so it gets some air in there, or leave the top off?

Then I will move it into a more permanent bottomless bin, but I think it should get composted more before that.

I can't believe we designed and built a house with a composting latrine and then blocked all its sunlight!

Any thoughts?! So far, our "aim" has been good and everything has made it into the bin with some just a bit of toilet paper missing and going off to the sides. So it should be easy to pull it out. I am just curious if any of it will be composted from building its own heat in the cellar/latrine!

Author: Joe (Joe)
Monday, January 24, 2011 - 7:33 pm

Search this message board. I think this topic has been discussed several times.

Author: Rowan (Rowan)
Sunday, January 23, 2011 - 1:41 pm

If you extract heat from the pile with water pipes, the composting process will slow down and will be less efficient in killing off weed seeds and the occasional pathogen. You'd need a pile of purely wood chips, this heats up easier and has no weed or pathogen issues.

Author: Md_heath (Md_heath)
Sunday, January 23, 2011 - 8:56 am

inside the greenhouse is probably a good idea. the water vapor put off by the compost pile will also help the plants, especially in the dryer winter weather.
running pipes in a compost pile is probably not worth the trouble. the 'thermal center' of the compost pile moves as the pile grows and as it ages.
a solar panel water heater is terribly simple to build, if you need hot water. a sheet of plywood, 2x4's around the edges (all painted flat black), and a sliding glass door 'blank' (the glass to replace one if broken) and an 'industrial grade' black hose, and you are in business. coil the hose on the plywood bottom, set the glass 'blank' on the 2x4's with silicone caulk. i have had one produce scalding hot water at 6500 feet in the rocky mountains with 4' of snow on the ground.

Author: Imhealing (Imhealing)
Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 10:58 am

Not sure where to post this. I'm exploring the idea of using Humanure Compost as a heat source. Some thoughts I've had so far: Put bin in greenhouse and use it to heat greenhouse. Also,
Run Water pipes through compost and use it to heat water.

I'd love to have input and brainstorm with others about the possibilities.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.