NEW ZEALAND earthquake

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: NEW ZEALAND earthquake
Author: Rufus (Rufus)
Thursday, March 17, 2011 - 3:51 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Hi Nancy,

I am from NZ but the other Island. After the quake I sent the Civil defence there an email with a suggestion to do things this way, and a link to the humanure site, also emailed our local Civil Defence ditto, in the sense that all communities should be prepared for a disaster, but neither have responded, probably too busy in Chch where the quake was to read emails.
The awful thing in Chch is that the quake caused liquefaction in the ground, so digging a hole is sometimes impossible. Composting on the other hand would still be viable. What the authorities did was import from other locations in NZ and from overseas lots and lots of portaloos. From an aesthetical pov, I'd so much rather use a loveable loo in my own home than trot down to the street corner to stand in line to use a portaloo.
Ruth

Author: Nancybeetoo (Nancybeetoo)
Wednesday, March 16, 2011 - 1:57 am

[No profile available] Edit this post

Hi Ecointerest,

No offense taken. You have quite an active imagination. I sometimes also enjoy imagining what people of the future (if any) will think or imagine of our lives.
Nancy

Author: Ecointerest (Ecointerest)
Tuesday, March 15, 2011 - 11:31 pm

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Nancybeetoo, I know and respect that your post was in all seriousness, and don't wish to detract from that, but I often see humourous aspects:

Just imagining numerous Lovable Loo buckets, floating away over the horizon, only to be picked up on distant shores. They are then "discovered" and placed in museums. Experts work diligently to determine the DNA of each sample, and try to decide who made the deposits and where. All this happening 100 years hence.

Author: Nancybeetoo (Nancybeetoo)
Saturday, March 12, 2011 - 12:03 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

I wonder if the New Zealand quake and resulting interruption in sewage treatment got anybody down there inspired to start humanure composting.

I saw this website http://www.showusyourlongdrop.co.nz

But no indication that folks are doing anything smarter than digging a hole.

I just wonder if there is an opportunity to get people thinking in different terms about what happens to their humanure. I have often wondered what would happen in my small community of 34 households if city services became unavailable due to some natural disaster.

Has anybody had that conversation about disaster preparedness with their community of neighborhood?
Nancy

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.