ALASKA

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: ALASKA
Author: Joe (Joe)
Tuesday, January 17, 2012 - 5:20 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Sent to me via email:

This is our second winter of composting our humanure, and it has been a great success.

We've had a very cold winter so far. It has been consistently below zero for most of the last 3 weeks. It was -24 yesterday morning, but it was a sunny day so it warmed up to -12 and we decided we'd better take advantage of this "warm spell" to go empty the buckets.

When we checked the thermometer in the active bin, it was 112F. We're so happy that our compost buddies (that's what I call our microbe friends) are able to keep things toasty in spite of our very wintery weather.

We've spread the word about humanure composting up here -- presenting at Bioneeers the last 2 conferences, at the Alaska State Fair in the recycling booth, at the Permaculture meetings, and at the Alaska Botanical Gardens Fair in Anchorage last summer. Most of the people there think it's a cool idea, but not many are jumping into it. I don't understand why not. One couple did take this on. They moved to Cordova to a place right on the ocean and have to walk about half a mile to get to their house. They are very happy with it so far, also.

D and C
Alaska, January 2012

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.