Choosing a commercial composting toilet

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: Choosing a commercial composting toilet
Author: Ecointerest (Ecointerest)
Friday, April 28, 2017 - 10:17 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Wf, it will not become complete compost without at least some of the urine being re-combined back into the solid "waste" in the main heap. Urine contains both the extra nitrogen and moisture required for good compost. It also aids in creating thermophilic temperatures.

Author: Wanderingfootsteps (Wanderingfootsteps)
Monday, April 24, 2017 - 5:10 pm

I am wondering if with these urine-diverting dry toilets the dried-out solid waste can be transformed into humanure after? We've just built one in our bus conversion and really want our "waste" not to be "waste"!

Author: Ecointerest (Ecointerest)
Tuesday, November 13, 2012 - 7:56 am

Richard, I have had a look into your Blog site, and feel that you have not given sufficient reference to Jo's book.
It can be just the right solution for some people.
Admittedly people are not going to make a lot of money out of the system, but from a technical, practical and economical point of view it can beat commercial systems. Admittedly it will not suit some people, mainly because of the fecophobic aspects, however it is an important additional option.
My opinion.

Author: Richardb123 (Richardb123)
Sunday, November 11, 2012 - 1:14 pm

Once one decides to go the composting toilet route, there are a somewhat bewildering array of options. The simplest is the all-in-one, where waste is collected in the unit itself. These are also the cheapest, and can easily replace an existing toilet without a major investment. They range in price from about $900 to $2600, but the more expensive ones are not always the best.
The more recent designs separate urine from solids. This results in far less odor (none, actually, in my experience). BUT you do need to remove the dried out contents and store elsewhere in a separate bin or location for 6 months so the compost can "mature". I use a rotating bin that I got on Amazon - works perfectly.
You can read more about composting toilets in general on my blog here: composting toilets

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.