Mexico

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Around the World: Mexico
Author: Joe (Joe)
Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 10:36 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Preferably let it sit another year, or use it as cover in the next bin. However, if it's already sat a year after collection, it's probably OK to add to soil in an agricultural setting where it can continue to break down. It's better to gauge the finished condition of the compost by monitoring the temperature and then sprouting seeds in a sample after the temperature has dropped. Pumpkin or squash seeds are good because the sprouts are big. If the sprouts don't thrive (e.g. turn yellow), the compost is immature.

Author: Mikehipson (Mikehipson)
Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 9:32 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Hi everybody, I started humanure composting two years ago here in sunny Mexico. I have always been super excited, but I think that I may have made some serious mistakes. First, I never got a thermometer... I never thought I would have a problem with heating my compost pile, since heat is what we got down here... but now that I am finally emptying my first bin (after one year of filling it up, and another year of waiting...), it seems that the sawdust hasn't composted properly. Also, I must confess I used kiln-dried pine sawdust from a local carpenter shop (untreated, of course) and did not let it rot first. Probably not a good idea.... Anyway, what should I do now? Instead of black dirt I have this fluffy reddish sawdust n' junk mixture... Do I need to pee on this pile for another year to give the sawdust more nitrogen? Should I just use it as cover material for the next bin? Thanks in advance for suggestions!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.